Newb looking to learn how to call Ducks

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Mczar777, Jan 5, 2019.

1. Mczar777

Mczar777 New Member

So I’ve Duck hunted for most of my life, 30+ years, but I’ve never really learned how to call Ducks very well. I know, it sounds stupid but I’m throwing it out there so whatever...

I need to work on my skills and I think I would do well with an instructional CD that I can play in the car and practice with. Is there such a thing as if so, what would y’all recommend? Thank you in advance for having Duck calling Newb patience....

2. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Carlson Duck Calling A-Z

Stump

DrakeStar likes this.
  3. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Great suggestion above from Stump,one thing I might add is go to a watering hole that ducks frequent and try and mimic the natural sounds they are making.

OneShotBandit likes this.
  4. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

@Mczar777

Master the single quack, stick with it until you can do it without thinking about it. Then string two together until you got that nailed as well then move to three, then to five. Once you can do five quacks stung together start working on the single cut/cluck feed. It's all you need to get started. I've been blowing a duck call for 44 yrs and I still can't do a good comp style rolling feed, it drives me nuts but I call plenty of ducks without it. So don't worry if you can't do something figure out what you can do and master that.
    Where do you live? maybe someone here lives near you and is willing to help you out.
    It's not hard but it does take a commitment if you practice for 10 minutes two to three days a week you will be able to make duck calling sounds. After that, it only takes a lifetime to figure out how to read birds good enough to where you can actually say that you're a "duck caller". If you can find someone to hunt with that has figured out a few things about calling and reading ducks it would speed thing up immensely. It's not hard you just have to practice and watch the birds body language and be willing to scare more than you call until you figure out what works for that particular day. Nothing in duck calling is set in stone and works all the time and I mean nothing. You can do it if you put your mind to it, by this time next season you will be calling ducks if you stick with it. Remember, it's all about having fun, don't make it a job or get too stressed over it. You can go for months thinking you're not making any headway and all of a sudden you will make the right sound maybe even by mistake and a light will go off in your head and you'll be like damn, that is what I've been looking for. You just gotta stick with it, you can do it if you want too. Duck calling is one of the things in my life that keeps me in the hunt year round, it's a blast. Wait until you get that first greenhead to crank around hunting for your call, you'll be hooked for life I know I was.

Best of luck too you, let me know if I can help.
    Dan

goosehunter64 and partyfowl like this.
  5. California Flyway

California Flyway Elite Refuge Member

The Carlson system is I think the most comprehensive, but some folks won't have the patience to follow every step. As I recall it was in DVD form not sure about CD.

The Keith Allen CD is shorter and easier for those that don't have the patience and discipline for Carlson. Not sure if the Keith Allen CD is still on the market.

GulfCoast likes this.
  6. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

Keiths cd is still being produced.

7. HONKSRWORKN

HONKSRWORKN Elite Refuge Member

There are lots of great Free duck calling tutorials online ,YouTube is a starting place ... But to be honest , if I had it to learn duck calling all over again .... I'd start out learning how to run a Short Reed Honker call :yes, .... First off yes they're totally different calls .. Blowing most any waterfowl call except a Whistle requires backpressue and most importantly air to run them , not just any air you blow , but the correct air presentation from your diaphragm .... To run a Short Reed you need backpressure to break the reed over along with that is correct air presentation .... You learn to run a goose call first , duck calling will be simple to learn because you know how to present the air correctly ... Or you can watch some videos on duck calling and figure out the rest as you go .
    If I were teaching someone that would be my plan ....

8. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum Moderator

I know a bunch of goose callers that can't blow a duck call to save thier @$$ and vice versa. :yes:yes:yes

QuaaackerJack likes this.
  9. bill cooksey

bill cooksey Elite Refuge Member

I would have never learned to call if the Carlson System was required listening. It's a great system for those with OCD. For me, there's not enough Adderall in the world to get me through the program.

For the OP, record yourself regularly. Just as with our voices, most folks really don't know how they sound on a call. Often cadence is a bigger problem for folks than tone, and listening to yourself on "tape" helps both. Save one of the first recordings and don't listen to it again for at least a month, and you'll probably hear enough difference to continue practicing and learning.

callinfowl and Mr. Chokesonducks like this.
  10. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I vote for the RNT system (3 CDs) though I don’t know if it’s still being made. It helped me go from a double reed call to a single reed and become a better duck call operator!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019