Newb looking to learn how to call Ducks

Discussion in 'Duck & Goose Calling Forum' started by Mczar777, Jan 5, 2019.

1. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

This is great advice! I have done this very same thing and I recorded myself OUTSIDE! I, too didn’t care for the Carlson method. Also the first Duck Commander calling instructional video is great info, IMO. :yes

2. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

I liked the old buck gardener tape.

3. Peter Goodman

Peter Goodman Senior Refuge Member

Cooksey is right on recording yourself and going back to listen. With smart phones it is a lot easier than it used to be with an old cassette tape recorder! As he says, as you keep practicing and compare recent recordings to older ones you can see the improvement, which is positive reinforcement. But here is another idea that Trevor gave me - go to a contest that has "meat calling" (not main street). Get close and record some of the callers. Then compare this to your own recordings and try to sound like the guys who know what they are doing. You may find yourself improving faster than you expected when you have someone really good to copy.

And yeah, blowing a call isn't calling ducks. I think I am too old to get near as good as I have seen some 30 year olds work the birds with their calls. But practicing is fun, and not a bad way to spend the summer when smoking a pork butt!

4. OneShotBandit

5. JHerr

JHerr Elite Refuge Member

Try and sound like these guys:

OneShotBandit likes this.
  6. OneShotBandit

7. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

You can listen to ducks all you want but until you learn what it takes to produce those sounds you'll be spinning your wheels. You need to understand how to put air into the call and how to manipulate that air to produce different ducks.
    Follow the A-Z as Jim lays out and you'll be well on your way to getting to where you wanna be. A little sacrifice now pays huge dividends in the end sir.

Stump

goosehunter64 and dgp1717 like this.
  8. K Kalls

K Kalls Senior Refuge Member

I like the Buck Gardner Straight talk how to blow an Arkansas style single Reed. I sat in on couple Butchs seminars for kids and watched how he taught the kids. Buck uses alot of what Butch taught in his videos.

jliffrig and OneShotBandit like this.
  9. Wiscoduckhunt

Wiscoduckhunt Senior Refuge Member

Buy copious amounts of duck calls and practice with each for about a month while looking for the one special one and then after a long time you will find it ... and then you can recycle all the ones that weren’t the one and then you will realize there were actually pretty good and it was all the practice!!! And this way you will have tons of duck calls!

OneShotBandit likes this.
  10. whaknMalrds

whaknMalrds Senior Refuge Member

Absolutely have done a that. Some of the first calls that I picked up I though sound like crap, later picked them up and they actually didn’t sound to bad.