googletag.cmd.push(function() {googletag.defineSlot('/22715214/refuge_ros_atf_728x90', [728, 90], 'div-gpt-ad-1434482053797-0').addService(googletag.pubads()); googletag.pubads().enableSingleRequest(); googletag.enableServices(); });

North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Sponsors

Newbie Adventures

Discussion in 'North / South Carolina Flyway Forum' started by CoachP, Jan 19, 2018.

1. CoachP

CoachP New Member

As you can guess, the greatest challenge for a newbie in SE NC has been finding access to good spots. Well, the snow days afforded me the opportunity to get out and about a bit. I made a short surnrise trip as a guest to a nearby lease, but there were no ducks to be found. Still, an opportunity to watch morning break without the sights and sounds of civilization is good. Later in the day, I was able to try to jump a few ducks on various ponds and creeks on the GL. There was evidence that the spots held some promise, but again no ducks to be found; however, there was an impressive flock of turkeys inspecting the same area.
    On a "be careful what you ask for" experience, I did finally get permission to hunt a rather swampy, beaver-infested spot nearby. After breaking out the waders and walking in, I quickly figured out why the area is not hunted. . . 18" of water covering 18" of muck. Twice I had to pull myself out by the waders and I never made it to a spot with a big enough opening for birds to land. Quite the workout. Unless I can find an Argo, probably my last trip there until the fall.
    I will eventually figure this game out. Hopefully in the next week.

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

3. CoachP

CoachP New Member

Thanks. I think I'll try to spend some off-season time working on a better way in. I've yet to see birds flying by from the road, but the owner says he hears woodies from time to time and Canadians often though I just don't see enough open water to make me believe that the geese land there. . .

WoodieSC likes this.
  4. stumpjumper0531

stumpjumper0531 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

Love me some mudders

STUMP

5. cootmeurer

cootmeurer Elite Refuge Member

Keep scouting and then leave a trail of breadcrumbs. On my one and only "go to" spot I found it while beaver trapping. Once it had it scoped out, I marked the least painful route in with reflective thumb tacks. Still a slog in, but I now avoid the bottomless holes and waders punching beaver stobs.

CoachP likes this.