Newbie question

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by pbd, Feb 16, 2016.

1. pbd

pbd Senior Refuge Member

I've been offered an invite for a spring hunt this year and was told to bring lead turkey loads.

Do normal high base lead shells work or is there some secret ingredient or alloy that is needed to kill a turkey?

2. eel river

eel river Elite Refuge Member

Bird is close enough you can use about anything, that is legal of course. For distance, using a turkey load is probably much preferred.

3. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

As mentioned, just get a 10 pack of a turkey load to fit your gun & I always have used #5's .. but it's a matter of preference and what patterns best from your gun.

4. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

No magic. Just usually a 3.5" shell with anything from #5 down to #9. I like Magnum Blends (5,6,7s). Others don't. They do shoot low in my gun. Always pattern your gun. Turkey shots can be as close as the end of the barrel, out to where you feel confident you can easily kill it (about 50 is max for me).

5. Trophyduck

Trophyduck Elite Refuge Member

I would definitely pattern the load. Buy a few different brands/sizes.....what you can afford. I use 3" #5 Winchester. I used to use 3 1/2 but found the recoil harsh and I kill them just as dead with the 3s. They all pattern differently for me. It is worth it to know your pattern is good. The rest is up to you

6. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Smaller shot sizes are preferred for turkeys, because you need a CNS hit (i.e. head or spinal cord). You also need a tight choke, with a full choke being the minimum choking. Even with large shot and a close bird, body shooting a turkey might not kill it with a shotgun.

Hevi-shot #6's are a great choice... They pattern well, and will pattern plenty tight in a standard full choke in most guns... Lead will not pattern quite as tight.

I still shoot lead, and prefer copper plated 3" loads... A 3" turkey load comes standard as a 2 oz load, which is more than enough to kill a turkey at any reasonable range... Personally, I like the 1 5/8 oz copper plated loads due to the recoil of these loads (but they are more difficult to find).

At 40 yards or under, I think that the #6's are the best choice... Larger shot sizes have less pellets and are a bit tougher to pattern, especially if you are not using an extra-full or some tight turkey choke (which is tighter than a standard full)....

Using #5's could be advantageous if you thought you would be shooting at birds further than 40 yards, but that would take some time at the patterning board and would likely require some sort of turkey choke... Well-patterned #6's hammer a turkey at 40 yards (and just beyond).

You need to visit a patterning board to figure out where your gun shoots and where your hold point should be on the bird... I use my turkey choke (or full choke) with standard target loads... I shoot to a target three times on the same paper using a rest, and see where the pattern is in relation to where I was aiming (as you actually do aim the gun to shoot a turkey).... The target loads reduce flinching and are a lot more comfortable to shoot, and shooting 3 times on the same paper gives you a distinct idea of where the pattern is in relation to the target...

In most of my guns, my hold point is somewhere between where the neck meets the head, and the head of the bird.

7. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

Edit on the above... My hold point is somewhere between where the neck meets the body and the head of the bird... Generally closer to the neck/body area...

8. 10GAGENUT

10GAGENUT Elite Refuge Member Flyway Manager