Newbie to Speck hunting

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by Diprivan, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Diprivan

Diprivan Refuge Member

Hello all. Being from Arkansas I have lived my life shooting mallards in the timber. The last two years I have been branching out and getting into speck hunting and let me tell you. I love dropping a big fat drake mallard in the timber more than anything, but watching a tarbelly cup those wings and drop the landing gear is freaking awesome. Current decoy spread is a dozen speck, 6 snow, and 6 blue FB dakotas. After experimenting with multiple calls makers I'm blowing a redbone and I can 2 note and 3 note pretty good but I'm working on the other speck sounds. Plan on just parking by a field full after duck season and listening to their sounds first hand along with my redbone DVD. Any other tips? I have had decent success so far but want to get on Rick Hall's level! haha

2. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Rick's a "has been". Be better than him.

Keith McGowan likes this.
  3. Beau Slaton

Beau Slaton Refuge Member

I'd keep working on your full body speck spread. I'm not a big fan of the dakotas. For the money they don't last long. For the money tanglefree are worth and you can costumize them a little if you want. Find a field they are feeding in and beat them to it in the morning. The hardest part for people speck hunting is hiding from them. They are very weary and have very good sight for things that aren't natural. Find a good place to hide that doesn't look like big random mounds in the decoys and you should be good.

4. Couv

Couv Refuge Member

Nonsense ! Find Rick's posts and follow his advice. Years ago I used to hunt near Rick. His approach to speck hunting is what in the business world would be classified as "best practices".

5. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

Thank you. I'll get your check out today.

Bill Artwich and Keith McGowan like this.
  6. gascrewgunn

gascrewgunn Senior Refuge Member

If you aren't hid and naturally hid...it may be a long hunt. Flying turkeys as far as i can tell. All we hunt is specks the last 5 years...and some things just don't work well...mainly not being hidden or not having room for them to woek.

7. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

There's lots of good info out there if you're just getting into it. Specklebelly Nation on Facebook has great info, and SpeckWharehouse.com had some great blogs, vids, tips, as well gear.

8. STUBBLE BUM

STUBBLE BUM Senior Refuge Member

9. webfoot78

webfoot78 Elite Refuge Member

Thanks Stubble bum.

10. redleg one

redleg one Senior Refuge Member

I see quite a few people using this

or go to you tube and search Chaisson 3914 001

I did not even realize this was on there until a few months ago

bullpinnie likes this.