Boats & Blinds Forum Sponsors

Newest duck rig mod build

Discussion in 'Boats, Blinds, & Gadgets Forum' started by ksgoosekillr, Jul 13, 2017.

1. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Actually i still might skin the inside. It was on the list to do but after a lot of thought decided not too. Reason being is concealment more than anything. A skinned blind stands out a lot more than one you can still see through. I have had both and our success was higher without. I have 19 mats on it now and i think it needs more.

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Just skin up the vertical portion, it'll give a little respite from the wind, but you can keep the upper part open so when you're calling and moving guns around the birds can still see you and flare.

3. ksgoosekillr

that sounds like a great idea, while im at it ill paint it pink and add strobe lights

4. ksgoosekillr

Finally ready to roll... been a long time coming. Im building a cover for the rear opening/motor and then my last thing will be to build a custom full length tapered hunt deck to raise the rear in the water a little. Do you by any chance have a pic of the boat when you listed it? I never did take a good Before pic of this build.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10216844699127191&id=1155425730

Fowl-Action likes this.
  5. duck dawg

duck dawg Senior Refuge Member

Nice job! Looks like a very comfortable boat to hunt out of.

6. ksgoosekillr

thanks, i put an emphasis on comfort in this build. Also on a floor plan that didnt have people all over each other.

7. callinfowl

callinfowl Kalifornia Forum

First off great looking build on the boat and blind.:tu:tu:tu

A little constructive criticism here.
    The side look like they will be sitting in the water with a full hunting load.
    Man with that many mats it's going to weigh a ton when it gets wet.
    Did you treat the mats with anything? Clear Thompson's water seal and a Hudson sprayer would be next on the list, to help with how much water those mats absorb in the rain and to help prolong the life of them.:yes

8. HaydenHunter

HaydenHunter Elite Refuge Member

Nice build. I've enjoyed following this thread.

Please, please be careful with that thing in big water and high winds. I have a hunting partner who almost lost his brother. The brother's boat, which was bigger (and presumably more stable) than the one you are using, rolled in high wind and icy water a long way from shore. That's the thing that scares me about hard blind builds. You have a pretty small hull there and you're gonna put 2-3? big boys in there to hunt. Stay off the big water if big winds are in the forecast and be prepared to sit it out if unexpected big winds develop while you are out there.

9. MJ1657

MJ1657 Senior Refuge Member

Pictures for us non Facebook people would be great.

10. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I know you are way past needing it, but since you do this what seems like fairly often, have you considered one of these for paint removal? It's what I used on my tractor when stripping down for paint. It has sheet metal from 1965 (thicker than what comes these days), but it didn't even scratch it up. I assume it should be safe on the aluminum, so long as you don't bear down hard. Just slap them on your grinder, and go to town. They make different sizes, speeds, knurled or non-knurled, etc. I used the knurled ones, and it took no time to remove paint vice other methods I tried. Believe I went through 2 of them for the whole tractor. One "cup" style, and one "disc" style.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-3-in-Wire-cup-brush/50193617
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/DEWALT-4-in-x-5-8-11-in-Cable-Twist-Wire-Wheel/1100899