NEXT SEASON

Discussion in 'Goose Hunting Forum' started by don835, Apr 18, 2017.

1. don835

don835 Elite Refuge Member

What are you guys going to do better this year than last to improve your Goose hunting skills? Location is a given with most but in my case I am going to pay more attention to details. What say you? Murph.

2. mpkowal

mpkowal Senior Refuge Member

Hopefully resolve some serious health issues.

goosenazi, renoduckman and callinfowl like this.
  3. Rick Hall

Rick Hall Elite Refuge Member

I say I'm going to paint and recommission my old, '04 & '05 Hardcore speck decoys that were once so effective.

But I've been saying that for over a decade...

4. don835

Well...what prompted this post was how decoying Geese acted last season. I try to work 'em into the hole up close and personal...maybe even let them touch down. Last year Geese worked a lot different sometimes giving us the flyby at 25 to 30 yds . I would pass them up because they looked like the next pass was gonna be it. Several times that flyby was all we got and we were SOL!
    I moved decoys and used different calling every time this happened and still the flyby. I gave up and started going on the flocks that were acting this way and we did good. But...just not the way I like to do it! This decoying issue seemed to start after we were given a 5 bird limit. I honestly believe that this caused the birds to wise up even more. Guys are staying out longer and taking hail Mary shots more than I have seen in the past just to get their 5 birds. I guess if Geese are getting more educated then I had better as well.

5. Juvie Juke Box

Juvie Juke Box Senior Refuge Member Sponsor

Our honker limit went to 8 and 4 for the regular season and I agree it makes the birds more educated because of people staying out longer to try and get that limit.

I'm personally going away from full bodies and switching to all silhouettes and shells. Mainly sleeper shells for the shells. I'm a firm believer in running alot of sleepers especially late season. Will be running 15-20 dozen sleepers of my own and with my buddies we will be able to run up to 40 dozen. Silhouettes will be Real Geese Pro 2's and the new dive bomb honkers, somewhere around 15-20 dozen as well.

6. don835

I have 10 dozen Dive Bomb Canada's and they will be used more this season.

7. JuvieCoot

JuvieCoot Elite Refuge Member

Ditched one lease field. Gonna work on the hide on the other one. We seemed blended in well from what we could tell, but some days felt like birds were making something.

8. marsh man dan

marsh man dan Elite Refuge Member

Going to try and get out more this year. Last year was the least days spent in the field but that happens when you have kids and a family I guess

9. renoduckman

renoduckman Elite Refuge Member

Going to need to find a new job. Found out recently that I am going to loose mine, just don't know when. Might be 6 months, or a year from now.

The good water this year means I might shift to more ducks this season. A couple of my favorite spots finally have water

10. DrakeStar

DrakeStar Elite Refuge Member

I've got three dozen (Canada's) I've been saying the same thing about,maybe this year ;)

Most likely take harder look at my different hides,do a tweaking here and there and see if it makes a difference.