Next up, Senator Al Franken

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by spaightlabs, Nov 16, 2017.

1. stump

stump Elite Refuge Member

Maybe a chance to cast a few more votes before he steps down.

2. Tuck31

Tuck31 Elite Refuge Member

Maybe he is waiting to see if Moore wins. If Moore is seated then Franken can say "Well if he isn't going to resign then I'm not".

My guess is that the real game here is that the Dems are looking to take the moral high ground so they can call for Moore and Trump to resign. If they refuse, then the Dems can run on that issue in 2018. No loss to them because the Governor of MN will just replace Franken with another Dem. Franken is taking one for the team.

The Dems are being pretty exploitive of women if you ask me--using sexual harassment as a political tool when they care nothing about the harassment and everything about keeping or adding to their power. Women will buy it though and think the Dems are their heroes for standing up for them (even though it has to be 3 or 4-1 Dem harassers over Repub harassers) because the media and Dem politicians will tell them that. They will all nod and go baa, baa.

OneShotBandit and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. pintail2222

pintail2222 Elite Refuge Member

But the people of AL will have known that about Moore and didn’t care.

But had the photo of Franken come out before his Senate race back in 2008 - Al would have lost to Norm Coleman easily. Or at least by enough votes not to cause an automatic recount so that absentee ballots could be counted twice.

4. hobbydog

hobbydog Elite Refuge Member

5. buck_master_2001

buck_master_2001 Elite Refuge Member

It’s win win for the Dems. One Democrat our another democrat in.

6. OneShotBandit

OneShotBandit Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I think it has more to due to the voting on the upcoming Tax Bill that Franken wants to stay until the end of the year. Also I thought his speech was a POS: "Hey they did it, too!" :(:(:(

7. pintail2222

If Franken stays around long enough to see if Moore wins AL. And Moore does win AL after - then Franken will say he is holding on until the Repubs kick Moore to the curb - because it would only be "fair"... And if the Repubs do not get rid of Moore - then Franken will say that he isn't going to go either....

The problem is that the voters knew about Moore and voted for him anyway - they decided. But the voters of MN didn't know about Franken. For Franken = the Senate decided - not the voters of MN. Had Frankens photo of him reaching for Leeann Tweeden been public in 2008 - Norm Coleman would have won.

Had Franken still won - then this wouldn't have ben an issue for him today unless new allegations arouse AFTER he was elected for sexual harrassment that took place AFTER the 2008 election.

Personally - I'd like to see Moore lose and Franken gone.

8. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member Supporting Member

I have said absolutely ZERO about either of those two gentlemen, yet you keep bringing them up. How's that common sense working out for ya? :doh

I was under the impression that if Moore is booted, once elected, Gov Ivey would then be able to appoint whomever she chose? If that is the case, do you see her appointing a progressive senator in his place?

pintail2222 likes this.
  9. pintail2222

I was under the same impression too and last time I checked Ivey was a Repub.

10. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

So, to put the outlier angle on it: had leftists OR progressives rather have a wild card (and, in their view) conservative) like Moore, OR the likely (insider-type) GOP’er that would likely be appointed in his stead? I’d wager the latter is MUCH more desirable for both Pelosi AND McConnell.