NGPC MEETING THIS MORNING

Discussion in 'Nebraska Flyway Forum' started by habitatman, Jan 20, 2017.

1. habitatman

habitatman Senior Refuge Member

NGPC has received from the FWS the waterfowl reposts for this year. The teal season for the north unit will get one more year to hunt to see if they can shot only teal. The duck population is still above the average but the pintails are down, so the only one pintail will be aloud this season. Goose populations are all good. Now the NGPC has all the information for the 2017 waterfowl seasons. So lets get the seasons set.

ajj16 likes this.
  2. habitatman

I was at Nebraska Sportsmen's Foundation Legislative meeting today in Lincoln, Ne. I heard that the NGPC Commissners meeting, To set the 2017 waterfowl seasons will be March 17 at Grand Island, Ne. So if you want to be heard go to this meeting or get what the NGPC commissners give you.

3. quailhunter

quailhunter Refuge Member

So how do you get NGPC's attention ? I've written, e-mailed & talked face to face with the Commissioners. For 2017, once again they have proposed December dates in the basins that are useless & have robbed us of two weeks of prime hunting in October!

4. waterfowler6963

waterfowler6963 Senior Refuge Member

Go to the meeting it is the only way you get any thing done there are three Commissioners that want the seasons as late as they can get for them and there friends that's why they are starting zone three in the middle of the week!!!!

5. quailhunter

I've always suspected that the good ole boys system was in place. That is exactly why commissioners need to be elected, not appointed.

6. nebgoosehunter

nebgoosehunter Senior Refuge Member

It would be nice if the commissioners email address was included on their bio and not just a phone number. Sometimes it would be easier to explain myself with an email instead of trying to convey myself over the phone, or not being able to get a hold of them, or bad cell service, etc.

7. quailhunter

It's by design, makes them harder to reach.

jzoo likes this.
  8. habitatman

For all who have not heard the 2017 waterfowl seasons are Teal, low plains Sept. 2 thru 17---Low plains ducks Oct. 30 thru Dec. 19 Looks like we lost the first week in Oct. again.

9. habitatman

The NGPC meeting in Omaha Oct. 20 will be trying to change the hunting times for most hunting seasons to sunrise to sunset. The survey that was made shows that most hunters want the times to stay the same. But they still want to take a vote. If you want it to stay the same, you best let them know. I do believe that the teal season should be changed to sunrise to sunset. There is still to many other ducks being shot mostly in the first half hour.

10. Iowa

Iowa Refuge Member

As a guy that hunts Iowa frequently for Teal opener. You would hate the sunrise start, its brutal how many birds are up flying around in the first 30 min. You may lose half the birds you even have on the marsh in that time. That is a rabbit hole you do not want to go down, we are trying to get it changed to half hour before over here.