Nice morning hunt

Discussion in 'Turkey Hunters Forum' started by fatdad, May 14, 2017.

1. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

I had 1 Hen 2 Jakes and 5 Toms walk by at 30 yards. I was hunting a clearing on a ridge top. It's about 20 yards wide, with a property line running down the middle. No fence, poles every 100 feet. Those birds strutted, scuffled and preened down that clearing, most of the time about 3 feet from the line. Not once did they cross it. I was tempted, but I let them go.

SB2MAG likes this.
  2. stevena198301

stevena198301 Elite Refuge Member

How nerve racking!

3. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

One thing I forgot to mention. The side I hunt has lawn grass, and the owner mows once in a while. The other side is in a Bio-logic food plot. I also had a few deer come out and they also stayed on the other side.

4. stevena198301

Well, good on ya for not takin a poke... Many woulda.

5. deltadukman

deltadukman Senior Refuge Member

Pfffftttt. I'm sure they are glad you are their neighbor and not me.

stevena198301 likes this.
  6. stevena198301

:l

7. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

Huntin' in MI and just got on .. But MMMMMM .. why did you even hunt it, when the food plot was "out of bounds":doh

8. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

I was not hunting the food plot. If I was, I would have shot a turkey. I was set up near the north end of the clearing. From the property I can hunt there is two atv trails that lead into the clearing. One from the west. It enters 20 yards south of my set up. The other from the northwest. It enters 15 yards to the north of my set up. Both have produced turkeys on the property I have permission to hunt with the birds never making it to the property line. It is a place where you always see turkey when you hunt it. Hope you can understand now.

9. soiltester

soiltester Elite Refuge Member

I understood your post fine and I wrote "out of bounds" for the food plot;)
    So compare the grassy area vs the food plot for turkeys, and bread & milk vs steak & eggs for us .. so which would you prefer on the average??:scratch

10. fatdad

fatdad Refuge Member

soiltester. Maybe I did not give you enough info, This is a north to south property line. I have big woods to the west of me. I am set up on the east side of the property I can hunt. The turkeys will take the atv trails into the clearing. It has been productive. There is no doubt that when these turkeys come into the clearing, they want to get to the food plot. The deer and turkeys love this food plot. I understand this. I only shoot them on the property I have permission to hunt. I don't see what I'm doing wrong. Why would you not set up there?????