Nice push the last few days

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by duck central, Oct 27, 2017.

1. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Nice push of New birds the last few days even some Snows. Thursday and today went just way to fast for me and the dog. Got into some awesome divers, Cans , Bills and even a Redhead. Oh and a very stupid rooster that tried to make it across the decoy spread. I don't hunt the weekends anymore so have fun. Lots of birds around..

BirdJ likes this.
  2. Mean Gene

Mean Gene Moderator Moderator Flyway Manager

Most all the small water froze up here last night. This morning's hunt was a bit icy. :l

3. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Starting to get a little acclimated with our weather up here yet Gene?

4. Mean Gene

Just because I came from California doesn't mean I'm a stranger to hunting when it's cold. Where I lived was obviously not as cold as it gets here, but one day I saw -22 on my back porch and often hunted in single digit temps. That's how I acquired really good long Johns. :l:l But now everything here, even the big water is frozen and the temps aren't moving into the "thaw" category for the foreseeable future, so I may be headed west sooner than I was hoping.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2017
    BirdJ likes this.
  5. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

No big push their concentrated to were ever open water is now that all the small sloughs are frozen not by far the end ice not that thick strong wind come open back up. It might take a little work around the edges to get to open water it's by far from putting a fork in the season it's gonging to get better than ever. When the Snow Geese come and start staging and the Swans start moving though that is close to the end when white geese come they bring too much waterfowl with them.

I had great opportunity today to much passing them up poor shooting 0 for 12 rounds spent today a easy 6 duck limit to much missing no wind sun in my eyes didn’t what to look at them had to rearrange decoys work, work, work too much.

6. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well luckily they started to change the long-term forecast because there was a bit there where they were forecasting minus teens up here and cold as hell for you guys too for an extended period of time. As it stands sask looks to still get much of this cold as does northern North Dakota so we may be looking at that classic situation where they get just below the Ice line and pile up like an SOB!

7. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I get woke up everyday by week day and weekend shooters I think should be out there with them no matter what the mother of the weather is doing I like. What sucks is if I show up early I have frost on decoy when sun come up no boom, boom too cold duck no like flare too much. It could be a classic fall it's dry west of me the flow is to water no matter how cold as long as I have water and my food isn't under snow I will stay. The feathered aviator of the sky flight plan is schedule before you and I wake up and during the middle of the night when I sleep every year cold come. Water level go down some here every year more divers show come this year see to much no like every body boom, boom scare big, big duck go to big lake and sit all day. Not much corn cut beans 90% done not Nov yet those white geese are going to come when the corn starts falling. How long great white geese and many Canada geese come here and stay I can say as of today no geese just ducks on the move.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2017
  8. Mean Gene

So my question regarding this early cold is: how "normal" is it? From talking with folks it would appear this is more a mid-November type of thing? I know when I came out a couple years ago it was still mild the second week of November. I realize "normal" may be a relative term, just curious.

9. dan_sd

dan_sd Senior Refuge Member

This is an odd bit of weather and should be more at the later part of November. We hunted Saturday and had to clear ice but today the entire lake was ice free.

10. Mean Gene

OK. Thank you.