Nice push the last few days

Discussion in 'South Dakota Flyway Forum' started by duck central, Oct 27, 2017.

1. mikeiss

mikeiss New Member

Truck and trailer is packed, leaving tonight. Here goes nothing.

BB-Shot and Mean Gene like this.
  2. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

Wow that is just crazy. What do you have about 7-10 thousand mallards? I cannot believe that slough is still open given the cold weather. Is it still open as of today?

3. BB-Shot

BB-Shot Elite Refuge Member

I don't know the numbers all I know there's a lot in the area. Yes there is a lot of open water with the wind today it made more open water every body I checked today was from Minnesota some did good on ducks one group shot thirty five snow geese no ducks.

4. recker999

Sounds like alot of fun. My friend shot divers on a lake near you today. He is going after mallards tomorrow am.

5. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

Time too back down from goose hunting for awhile.:( West River deer season opened this last weekend. Really messes up the geese on the Big water with people shooting along the shores and hunters running their boats into the bays! East River opens up this coming weekend also. Nice part is, is that it doesn't look like a Big push of birds will be coming down in the near future so far with the nice weather we will be having and they won't mess it up with the birds migrating down!!! Hope they get their tags filled quick!!:pra

6. Ramblingman

Ramblingman Senior Refuge Member

You are living the dream !

7. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well that might answer the question I've been having of why all the geese are migrating North on Standing Rock. Last couple days I've been seeing a decent push of primarily snow geese all up hi V'd up and truckin North.

BirdJ likes this.
  8. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Good thing for you guys is there is a *** load of geese down on the lake so once she's locks up they will likely head your way since they are past the normal river areas.

9. BirdJ

BirdJ Elite Refuge Member

They just might move backup though to that open water? A lot of our early birds stage south about 30 miles or less south of Pierre here early. When that lower end starts freezing up, some keep moving south but a good number still work their way back to Pierre to open water.

10. recker999

You guys covered with snow geese? Hearing reports of guys in southern ND nailing the snow geese still.