Taxidermy Forum Sponsors

Nice spoon

Discussion in 'Taxidermy Forum' started by redleg one, Jan 18, 2016.

1. redleg one

redleg one Senior Refuge Member

In fact,those spoons are number 277 on his gallery on his website listed at the top of the page. He is a sponser,birdman studios

2. redleg one

3. Woodduck31

Woodduck31 Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I finally pulled it off yesterday. It's been a lifelong quest for me to get a quality mature shoveler drake. Living this far north has made that a real problem. I've shot a few spoonies every year, but nothing remotely mature. After 47 years of duck hunting, I've finally shot one good enough to put on the wall.
    [​IMG]

4. redleg one

Great bird---Full head,green makes a definite line where it stops on the neck instead of being irregular and splotchy,great white on the back going down over wings,,,I am sure anterior torso has nice cinnamon color

5. TUGREENHEADHUNTER

TUGREENHEADHUNTER Senior Refuge Member

Hey bud, I don't think he was talking about the spoonbills. The spoonbills look pretty dang good. I believe he was talking about the blue wing and the green wing that are in the standing position. I would have to agree with Squatty on those. However, I too like to see those "Jewels" late season.

6. redleg one

The pictures were placed to show examples of prime specimens in late season. If the poses are not liked,that is fine. I would like to see some examples of just what is considered prime taxidermy and why.

480/277y likes this.
  7. waterswatter

waterswatter Elite Refuge Member

Congrats on the nice spoonbill. I don't see specimens like that until April on the sewer ponds.

As far as the mounts are concerned, just remember that at the end of one's life, a good mount is worth the same as a bad mount; basically worthless. I've seen it time and time again where a fine collection of mounts
    that a guy spent a lifetime accumulating can't be given away. The kids don't want them, the museums are full and they become white elephants for whomever is cleaning out their parents place.

nicapopolis likes this.
  8. redleg one

I agree

I did not do the mounts,but I am very critical myself,mainly when it comes to speck and snow calling. My point being,if I am asked to critique someone's soundfile,I can provide reasons as to why a certain sounds are off or not right,and the good points about the file as well

It is fine for someone to criticize someone's work,but provide reasons as to why the piece is not right,or provide examples yourself so comparisons can be made--to be honest I would appreciate the insight from an actual established taxidermist as to why the criticized mounts do in fact have a real issues if any

If it is a pose thing,that is fine---but as far as specimen quality,symmetry of the feathers,cleaness of the mount,,,etc....I think the deadmont is very good as is the sitting bluewing. I can understand where someone could see a pose issue maybe with the prenning greenwing,but I don't get the criticism

9. squatty420

squatty420 Elite Refuge Member

EXCUSE ME! but where did I ever refer to double Spoony mount by Todd?

I think you need to go back are READ & CLICK the links in my quote from my pervious post again there pal!

10. redleg one

ok,so once again,explain what your perception of the problem is