Nikon Coyote special

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by Ferg1, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Ferg1

Ferg1 Senior Refuge Member

This may be a topic for the shooting forum but I figure that the varmint guys might be a good group to ask because this is varmint specific...

Anyone use the nikon coyote special. Is the reticle helpful or is it just a gimmick. I own a set of nikon binos and know that they are a good glass, never used one of their scopes though. Am I better off with this scope or another scope with a duplex reticle or even mildot.

I shoot a remington 700 sps varmint in .22-250 and the places I hunt are mostly under 300 yd shots. I also do a little night hunting if I get fresh snow and full moon.

Any advice is helpful. Thanks!

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

Do you like to dial or hold over?

22-250 for 300 yards and under doesn't really require either, you should be able to zero about 1 1/2" high at 100 and still hold on fur at 300.

An answer to the question, yes, it will work, any mil/moa or bdc reticle will, it's just a matter of figuring out how for your rifle/load combo.

Just like bdc turrets, yes they work, but so will your mil or moa turret.

These things aren't magic, though if you want to use the reticle for elevation/windage adjustments I would suggest ffp vs. a sfp reticle to keep things as simple as possible.

3. goose-caller

goose-caller Senior Refuge Member

I have one only .243 and like it. I personally like the reticle but I know others don't, it is all personal preference. So choose which ever reticle you "personally" like. I have found it works well for me when taking follow up shots when I call in a double or triple.

4. Ferg1

Ferg1 Senior Refuge Member

I am not sure what I want exactly. Never used a BDC or anything other than a duplex. I sure would hate to try the try a different reticle and not like it. I am just trying to get some background info before i make the decision to buy so im not throwing my money away.

5. predators west

predators west New Member

I have shot the coyote special for a year, once you get the first circle dialed in at 200 yds all the other circles are dead on I love the scope for moving targets, if your going to comp or match shoot don't get this scope, I shoot the rem 7 22-250 with a 50 grn v-max at 4000fps and it is drop dead on at 400 yds.