Nippy dog question

Discussion in 'Gun Dog Forum' started by The Other David, Sep 22, 2017.

1. The Other David

The Other David Elite Refuge Member

I need some help on this. It is very important.

I have the sweetest little lab (~50 pounds) I got from a breeder in Mississippi. She is 3. My wife and I (and a few others) can do anything to her, and all is fine.

But with strangers, even after she has been around them for several days, or when she is in a strange situation, she gets nippy. She is very protective of our older (13 yo mixed breed), and will not let strangers get around him.

Today the dogs ran off, and when someone tried to look at the old dog's collar, she bit him. The doggy police (extremely helpful) brought them home, and she is in quarantine.

What can I do about this? Is there some training that can help?

I hate to have her put down, but this is not acceptable. I have a 10 month old grand daughter she wants to rough-house with.

Thanks for your suggestions.

2. Waterdog Trainer

Waterdog Trainer Senior Refuge Member

Have you owned the dog from a pup or did you recently get her? If recent why did the breeder giver her up? Because she is a biter? Sorry, but you have a huge liability on your hands. Aggressive behavior could be caused by many things. "Man made" or she just may have a screw loose. Keep the dog away from your grand daughter until you figure out what you are going to do.

3. duck dawg

duck dawg Refuge Member

If you really want to keep the dog I would contact a trainer that specializes in aggressive dogs and see what they recommend.
    You mentioned the only other option that I'm aware of.