Nisqually NWR information series

Discussion in 'Washington Flyway Forum' started by All Day, Dec 25, 2017.

1. JEG

JEG New Member

RR

2. All Day

All Day Elite Refuge Member

The learning is an all year round occupation. It took me a lot of years to get where I am. Our Grays Harbor Chapter meetings ore FEB through October. I put the chapter on semi stand by during the hunting season because I don't have the time for both! It's ok for you to use this post for what you are saying. You bring up some good points so all I can tell you is to get out and meet up with other hunters. That's how I did it 46 years ago. Damn, feelin old right now! Put in your time man and you will be rewarded. I promise.

Constructeur likes this.
  3. dekecarver

dekecarver Elite Refuge Member

"If you really believe that then I have a management plan I would like to sell you.:doh :rolleyes: lol They absolutely did know it would negatively impact the duck numbers and hunter numbers in the refuge. I had a number of conversations with the fellow who took the data. He said that he told them that very thing multiple times in various meetings and public "forums" (aka - complain-so-we-can-say-we-consulted-you-we-are-doing-it-anyway-meetings). And you have the DU stamp of approval with the ever popular caveat of "well it was the best we could do" and "urban sprawl" and yada yada yada as they reduce hunter numbers and access."- WidgeonMan

And to this great quote, I add "Can anyone say Skagit!?!?
    By the way, nothing WDFW has done for salmon has worked.

All Day likes this.
  4. dekecarver

JEG, Great words. Very truthful.

5. All Day

Of course THEY knew it! They just didn't include it in their planning. ALL of the salmon recovery efforts have failed yet they continue on. (Shillapoo).

WidgeonmanGH likes this.
  6. dekecarver

My friend, we both face a change we can't describe. I believe that this is being done because it is a business, nothing more or less. Its about $$$$$. Its about grants, federal and state money. Its not about what we grew up believing in. I hear that Skagit Farmed Island is going away for good. That huge estuary needs another 120 acres! Yet there is and will be no documentation to show that these projects succeeded. There's recent info that ALL Puget Sound Salmon Fishing will become severely restricted, to save Chinook Salmon in the Stillaguamish River. Read the New Agreement 10 Year Plan by the Federal/Justice Department/Tribes/WDFW (behind Closed Doors, of course). These restrictions will heavily restrict overall Puget Sound Salmon Fishing, Silvers and Pinks too, to save... 9 or 10 Chinook Salmon! Nobody seems to know who wrote this stuff. Hmm. UN Agenda 21? Hang in there, the ride is going to get rougher.

7. All Day

Been a while since I've heard reference to agenda 21. I think it has creeped into just about all the planning that the dems do.

8. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Nisqually- that place is a hoot. I have never hunted there.
    No one really knows what the waterfowl numbers are. Seems like all they give out in my opinion is a guesstimate.
    Birds come and birds go. Hunters need to realize that a (Storm) for example can change migration patterns. Birds can come and go same day service on a day you were taking a nap. Birds migrate at night. When was the last time you saw a flock of what you may think are new arrival Coots land in your decoys? Won't happen during the day.
    My point is ducks are always adjusting and reacting to something like tides, wind, weather, FOOD, aircraft, eagle's and hunting etc. WA State is notorious for lots of rain spreads ducks out to any where and every where with water and feed. That feed could be as simple as green grass. There could be a 1,000 Widgeons heading over Nisqually this hour, they already ate, rested, to the North, they will be in California tomorrow.
    To conclude folks out there are making good studies on bird's. But, I have always believed they will never get the right numbers. We just have to keep plugging away.

9. WidgeonmanGH

WidgeonmanGH Elite Refuge Member

When you hunt the same spot and same area over a decade and you keep a journal. You get a pretty good sense of the pattern of a place. When they change it dramatically you also get a sense of the change. As far as numbers go, it is not difficult to asses the difference between hundreds of birds and thousands of birds. The magnitude of the change is in the thousands.

To put it simply, they (TPTB) changed the pattern of the birds when they took away a big fresh water flooded area in the South sound that had been a stopping point for ducks for a long time. That is not based on a single years observation, but on multiple years observations and multiple sites.

The point of this dead horse beating is a cautionary tale in case TPTB decide (with the blessing of conservation groups) to improve your local marsh for their feel good "salmon recovery" efforts all the while keeping nets in the rivers.

All Day likes this.
  10. Ducksergeantorg

Ducksergeantorg Senior Refuge Member

Your right about Nisqually.