No power on my 4500 bd

Discussion in 'Mud Motors' started by threeforthree, Oct 8, 2018.

1. H20DAD

H20DAD Elite Refuge Member

How is the reverse?

2. Billcollector

Billcollector Senior Refuge Member

Easy there hair trigger. You have no idea what troubleshooting was done over the phone, and You don't even understand what is being referred to as water logged.

There are only a couple scenarios that would explain achieving 4300 rpm's with a loss of thrust.

It is either a power transmission issue, IE. clutch, sprocket, belt, prop, or it is a hull issue IE. hooks, dents, weight, etc.

3. threeforthree

threeforthree Senior Refuge Member

Yes the belt does look like its a
    Bit blackened, for sure no oil on clutch but sprayed a can of brake clean on it. Or a light carbon look

4. threeforthree

From my drain plugs, had stop
    Dripping now boat is tilted way up for downward draw

5. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

I'd still check the lower drive sprocket to make sure the set screws havn't backed out of the sprocket assembly allowing gear to spin on the hub. I've also seen them shear key in hub, allowing prop shaft to spin in hub. Not really noticeable until trying to push a load. Then everything starts slipping.

warrenwaterfowler likes this.
  6. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

Lol you have no idea what i do or dont understand and have rebuilt more of these powerheads than you pry have ever seen in your lifetime.

There are actually quite a few scenarios that could see the rpms with loss of speed including transom height, motor height, setup. You might actually go read what i was referring to here before spouting off then youd understand what i do or dont know and you might learn something along the way.

Oh and i question what was dripping because in my last trouble shoot the overflow on the Mikuni was pissing fuel like crazy thru the overflow due to a combination of rix main jet and incorrect float tab adjustment.so when i give advice on a mud motor issue it isnt some random guesss...

Go jump on M M T and find the thread titled "no speed rpms right" and you might see ive been in his shoes already. And my opinion on Mudbuddy is shared by a whole lotta folks in the industry thats why Calen, Jamie and Andy (boat dr.) Are so damn popular....

7. threeforthree

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Olefart

Olefart Senior Refuge Member

Looks like at sometime the belt was running abit loose and jumping teeth on lower gear. Also looks as if belt has been rubbing on something, in bottom of belt housing. Mjght as well take prop shaft housing off of belt housing and check to see what caused mark on belt. And check gear for excessive wear on teeth, and shape of prop shaft bearings.

9. ksgoosekillr

ksgoosekillr Senior Refuge Member

with motor off turn clutch on, make sure you feel/hear it engage first. Take a breaker bar with socket and ATTEMPT to spin prop clockwise. This will tell you if you have any issues with the outdrive. If it gives a little thats ok. Lot of corrosion on the bell housing of your clutch? Take a flash light inside that clutch to see if there are any broken bands. Be prepared for a fight to take off and inspect your clutch. Takes me two pry bars, a can of Kroil, a giant *** gear puller, a big dead blow and a lot of cussing. google search "Mudbuddy upper gear/clutch removal"

10. Billcollector

Billcollector Senior Refuge Member

LOL. You just re-confirmed what I said about it possibly being a hull issue.

Answer me this, master rebuilder..... How could an engine with a dead cylinder, a compression issue, or a main jet issue reach 4400 RPM's while under load???

I have seen a few in my lifetime, trust me.