No War for Atheists

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by fishnfool, Sep 10, 2014.

1. fishnfool

fishnfool Elite Refuge Member

http://news.yahoo.com/atheist-must-swear-god-leave-us-air-force-232153866.html

Interesting battlefront from the "War on Christianity".

2. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Man, something ain't making sense. We hear that Christian 'Chaplains' aren't welcome in the AF... then soldiers aren't allowed to pray in case it upsets Muslims... now Athiests aren't allowed to re-enlist???

It sure sounds to me like we not only have a bunch of screwed-up people in both the military hierarchy AND the Obama administration, but we also (IMO) have a bunch of diabolical ones who are pulling some of this crap intentionally.

:doh

3. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

But did someone say 'traction'?:nutz

In any event, it's a good topic and I'm glad you posted it.

In the past, an airman could opt for an alternative phrase and omit the words "so help me God," but the US Air Force changed its policy in October 2013.

That change surprises me. October 1952 wouldn't. Nor would a change away from the requirement, but instituting it? In 2013? Quite odd....

For the record I fully support his right to serve without swearing said oath. Madness that it's even a question.

4. blinddog

blinddog Elite Refuge Member

Not quite sure what the issue is, aside from atheists making a stink about religion (the usual).

It is an oath to serve the US not an oath to serve God. If you don't believe in God how does saying the words "so help me God" effect you?

5. WoodieSC

WoodieSC North/South Carolina Flyway Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Totally agree.

If we can have illegal aliens, 'fudge packers', 'lezbies', felons, pedophiles, Muslims, Budhists, Wiccans, etc, etc, etc, serve in the Armed Forces, what the heck is wrong with having Athiests? Heck, they'd probably convert under fire anyway, so what's it matter? :cool: :scratch

Heck, we even have an illegal gay wuss as a President... :rolleyes:

6. brreed82

brreed82 Senior Refuge Member

The same logic can be applied to him wanting to omit the "God" part. If he doesn't believe in a God, and is truly there to serve his country, whats the point of making him take an oath to something he doesn't believe in? Why not just let him omit it? The oath would mean much more to him without the part he objects to. Personal meaning is the only point of an oath.

7. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

I'll be interested to hear what the Pentagon lawyer says. My guess is, the AF will back down before this goes to court.

8. okie drake

okie drake Elite Refuge Member

Stories like this cause people to have to make a decision. Liberty or...what I like, what I would do, what I'm comfortable with, what people like me would do, what my grandfather would do, what's traditionally been done, what I think is moral....

So many times the choice is anything but liberty.

Telling.

9. Rubberhead

Rubberhead Elite Refuge Member

If he's really an athiest why should he care?

10. Steve Borgwald

Steve Borgwald Elite Refuge Member

Maybe it's a matter of principle to him.