Non resident liscense questions

Discussion in 'Louisiana Flyway Forum' started by cholt, Nov 11, 2017.

1. cholt

cholt Senior Refuge Member

I’m coming down in Jan for a duck hunt trying to figure out the cost can’t really find like a three day or week hunting pass like most other states have all I see is a one day. Is it just gonna be a pay per day or do they have a week liscense I can buy

2. BGcorey

BGcorey Senior Refuge Member

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/17LAHD-LR3.pdf

Page 5 has license info for resident and non resident

I wanna say your best bet would be to pay the 1 day small game/ migratory waterfowl ($29). It says it’s all inclusive so other than the fed duck stamp I don’t think you would need Basic and la duck which is what us natives have to get

3. borntohunt

borntohunt Senior Refuge Member

How many days do you plan to hunt?

4. cholt

3 days

5. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

You only have 2 choices: season-long non-resident plus the non-resident duck license ($175 total), or as many 1-day small game/Migratory bird licenses as you need ( 3 in your case, for $87)

6. cholt

Ok I saw the 1 day small game was just making sure I wasn’t looking over anything thanks for the help

7. Engstfeld

Engstfeld Elite Refuge Member

Seems like there used to be another option....like a 5 day small game....must have discontinued it.

8. TheDuckSlayer

TheDuckSlayer Elite Refuge Member

Yep.

The 1-day is all inclusive, no state duck stamp or WMA permit needed. If you buy the season-long non-resident small game license you will need a state duck stamp and WMA permit (if you hunt WMAs) also.

9. Steel3's

Steel3's Elite Refuge Member

There used to be 5-day and 3-day non-resident licenses, both of which required the purchase of a non-resident duck stamp, but that was changed in 2009 ........ and I'm still whining about it.

Why? Because it cost the Duck Stamp Fund about $80,000 per year, which is 1) earmarked for habitat work in Louisiana and 2) leveraged to get additional grant money, like the NAWCA grants that have funded work at Russell Sage, Pomme-de-Terre, Point-aux-Chenes, Pass-a-Loutre, Sherburne, Dewey Wills, etc.

How did it do that? Because the 1-day licenses no longer require the purchase of those non-resident duck licenses. The idea was sold by LDWF LE as "revenue neutral" because, for example, a duck hunter who bought a 3-day license ($75) and a NR duck license ($25) paid $100 to hunt 3 days and now he pays $87 to hunt 3 days. But a dove/woodcock hunter who hunted 3 days now pays $87 when he used to pay only $75. But of course, it wasn't anywhere near revenue neutral because 1) most guys that bought 3-day licenses only hunted the weekend and now only have to buy 2 1-day licenses, and 2) (the big one) every dollar of duck stamp money is leveraged at least 3 times (using federal aid) and often more through NAWCA. But that didn't matter to Law Enforcement because the change shifted the money from duck license sales prior to 2009, which went to the Duck Stamp Fund, to just plain license sale revenue, which goes to the Conservation Fund.

Guess which fund is the only one LE gets money from?? Conservation.

And guess who got the benefits from the change? Non-resident waterfowl hunters ...... at the expense of funding available for habitat work that most benefits resident waterfowl hunters. Brilliant.

Sorry for the rant, but I wasn't even consulted when the change was proposed, didn't even know it was being considered and was passed, actually learned about it right here on this sight when I gave incorrect advice about non-resident licenses ........ and the butt-hurt is strong with this one because I got caught with my pants down while the Asst. Secretary for Wildlife was being played with a "revenue neutral" line.

10. cholt

That’s cazy cause here in al the non resident liscense is where most of the money is made from large game and duck hunters still have to buy state stamp also so I can understand the issue down there I was kinda figuring I would spend that just seems odd not buying a state duck stamp may still buy one anyways just to hold on too