Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

North Carolina is achieving Sunday Duck hunting!

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by slacktide, Jul 6, 2017.

1. joecitrano

joecitrano Senior Refuge Member

A sunny 67degree day no wind n a full moon. Happens during our season plenty on satarday and sunday has wind temp drop n cloud cover. At least there's an option. I probably stil wouldn't get to hunt lots of satardays but if I have trouble with babysitter I would scratch satarday n go Sunday . Options

2. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

My logic is adding an extra big pressure day makes the birds smarter than they already are and more apt to leave an area. Me choosing not to hunt Sunday won't affect it one bit when every field on the shore will be full. I really don't understand how it's that hard to get.

3. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Because your logic is not logical.
    If everyone will chase birds out on sundays, they will be safe in your spots because you won't be hunting. All the birds will end up there and Mondays should be great for you.

Sunday hunting will increase pressure. Birds will leave.
    No pressure currently during the week so hunting on Saturdays according to you should be good. Is it?

Pretty much just repeated my prior post. Noodle through it for a minute.

Btw, none of this has come to fruition in VA. If you have cold weather up north and food here, you have ducks. If not, you don't.

4. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

I think it's safe to say that by allowing Sunday hunting then the birds would be pressured more on PUBLIC land. If you have several private fields or water blinds then you can decide what you want to do. If you give the birds rest and food no matter where you are then you have birds. Rest is not an option on public land UNLESS it is in the rules with which days the area can be hunted. A place like Fishing Bay with no restrictions will get absolutely hammered by having Sunday hunting.

Now am I against it? No. Do I mainly hunt public? Yes. Do I see it hurting me? Possibly, but I would rather have that second day to try and get out into the field when I can't make it out some Saturday's.

5. mdmallard

mdmallard Refuge Member

Also, I think it's just a matter of time before we get Sunday hunting for every game animal. With Sunday deer hunting getting more relaxed every year for the past few years and having it be pretty successful, then I think it will just keep moving that way. I have two sons, 1yo and 3yo. I hope that by the time they start hunting I can take them out on any Sunday we can go. I probably missed out on 50-100 Saturday hunting days in my youth (age 8-18) that I missed due to just sports. This isn't including bad weather, SAT's, ACT's, other school activities and other various reasons. By having Sunday hunting I think you can get more young people into the sport.

6. Trevor Shannahan

Trevor Shannahan Elite Refuge Member

You obviously don't get the affect of pressure on birds. It's not even worth arguing if you can't comprehend the simple basis that this logic is founded upon.

The only reason for people wanting Sunday hunting is greed. They don't care about the birds or quality of hunting.

Go ahead and pass Sunday hunting and watch your seasons get even worse than they already are. Ducks can take that kind of pressure, Canada geese handle it very differently.

7. markd

markd Elite Refuge Member

Currently, is the DUCK (since this is a DUCK talkin' about dem ducks internet forum website) hunting really good on Saturdays? or Mondays for that matter?

If your theory (that lots of people hunting for 2 days in a row will chase all of the birds out of here) on Sunday hunting held any water, then the opposite should be true in that the hunting around here on Saturdays would be great since no one really hunts for the 6 days prior.

What I am saying is that if we have a little weather up north and food then the birds will be here. If that weren't the case how in the world would anyone North of Mexico kill anything after the first week of the season?

Here's your lesson on logic and deductive reasoning for the day.

8. Dirtybird420

Dirtybird420 Senior Refuge Member

It won't make a bit of difference. Them birds rest all week basically. N no matter what it just to many people hunting public for waterfowl. Add the sky busters so forth them birds r smart but that's the best part. Gotta find the right spot any day end of story. I hope they pass Sunday hunting all the way around. But I honestly don't see it happening. N really think about when the last time u rolled back to ramp or parking lot n everyone had a limit. I imagine not to often so sat sucks to atleast if Sunday is open I'll get to freeze my tail offf slosh through mud n give it a try.

9. carolina girl

carolina girl Elite Refuge Member

Give a guy a trophy for being able to blow a goose call and all the sudden he's knows everything about hunting waterfowl.

Here's something you cant comprehend, Trevor..............the only reason people want to hunt on Sundays is because they want to HUNT!

Allan and Dirtybird420 like this.
  10. derek

derek Elite Refuge Member

Help me out here, does the current "logic" for not allowing sunday hunting have anything to do with hunting pressure?