North Zone Opener

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by WHUP ! Hen, Nov 3, 2018.

1. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

limits, limits, limits Mallards, Pintail, Widgeon and flocks of greenies

Truman and Brottboss like this.
  2. Duckman Racing

Duckman Racing Elite Refuge Member

Hunted just across the line in the middle zone. Limit for me as well, but it was all green wings and wood ducks. Saw lots of mallards but they were all flying high and had no interest in my little pothole.

Tried the poor line at EB first, but with 28 parties pulling for 9 open spots it was a no go for me.

Truman, wakenda and WHUP ! Hen like this.
  3. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

A0AE53EE-3B44-4A6B-96F9-98D83E1EC149.jpeg Lots of ducks flying, probably our best opening day ever. There were green wing teal everywhere and almost every species of puddle duck was harvested. Took my lab on her first hunt and had lots of fun.

4. Pastor

Pastor Senior Refuge Member

This guy was proud of his first gaddy 20181103_085927.jpg

Truman, Reelcranky, sgt duck and 6 others like this.
  5. wakenda

wakenda Senior Refuge Member

I had thousands fly over. Nothing came in. Still got all my ammo.

Truman likes this.
  6. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

We had our best opener yet (middle zone). Woodies were were there usual difficult self in the early low light. Didn’t see much flying the first 30 minutes (I was getting worried) and then it started. Singles, pairs, 6 or 8, a dozen, mallards, gadwall, widgeon and one shoveler(ya gotta do it! :yes). Had mallards landing while I was out of the blind picking up the other mallards. Had one greenhead land about 15 feet from me with the dog at heel while I was out of the blind! 20 total for us with about a dozen mallards. It was one for the books!

Truman, WHUP ! Hen, Pastor and 2 others like this.
  7. Drakes Landing

Drakes Landing Senior Refuge Member Supporting Member

Wakenda, feel your pain. We had by far our worst opener in the 12 years we have had our place in NW Missouri. I'm not sure what the heck happened but we just didn't have birds over us to speak of and those that did there were very few and far between. Both days were extremely tough.........not too mention rainy. We ended with 5 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday. We had high hopes with strong numbers in the area but it was not to be for us. We will have our day but when it starts like this it is strange to say the least. Openers have traditionally been a strong hunting day for us (like many of you). The only thing I can attribute lack of use is we had to let our water out in Mid October and re-flood it due to a culvert malfunction. That put us behind for sure and I wonder if the birds had just not found it and started using it yet. Plenty of birds around us just not on us.

Looking forward to this front coming our way. It can only go up from here :)

Good luck everyone

WHUP ! Hen likes this.
  8. Guthook

Guthook Senior Refuge Member

We shot a lot of Glady’s, the smiling gadwall. Great weather headed our way but wait, MDC wants me to deer hunt next week so they closed the season. Who puts a split on waterfowl during peak migration Nov 13th?

WHUP ! Hen and QuaaackerJack like this.
  9. Cliner

Cliner Senior Refuge Member

Weird weekend when the second day is better than the opener.

10. dux/24 7

dux/24 7 Elite Refuge Member

Misery does because everyone is a ditch goat Hunter. Welcome to a world revolving around Deer Hunters

WHUP ! Hen and QuaaackerJack like this.