Northeast? or Northwest?

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Diver731, Dec 30, 2003.

1. tencan4

tencan4 Senior Refuge Member

I have hunted both coasts the past 3 years and in my opinion I would lean towards the west coast. The birds you will harvest will be about the same except for harlequins on the west and eiders on the east. Both coasts provided fabulous hunts and plenty of different species to take (looking for mounters) . I would highly recommend both guide services I used. The Captains were very knowledgable, safe, and really put us on the birds all the time. In the west coast I hunted out of Port Townsend With Dave Drewry of Penninsula sportsman . On the east it was john Nowinski of north Creek guide serice in Falmouth, Me. To me the big deciding factor was weather and pressure. The weather in Maine is very rough and inconsistant during the winters. This leads to a lot of lost days for guides due to high seas and winds. We had to reschedule our maine trip 3 times this year due to bad weather. I am very glad we did because when the weather layed down we went out and really hammered the birds. We were fortunate that we plannind on driving and had no plant tickets to change dates on. While the guides do have some spots to go in rough weather (but not too rough) they are not real producers. My personal observatons was that their is more hunting/guiding pressure in Maine than there was in Wa. I never saw another hunter the 2 years I hunted out in Wa. There are also not ooo many guide servies in the area. I saw several other hunters in Maine and have also read a lot about the "overcrowding" of guides services popping up. The eider numbers are down this year and one of the theories is hunting pressure. And there are a ton of guide services in the Maine area.

Another thing to consider is that the limits are more liberal on Maine. Depending on when you go you can legally take 7 sea ducks, 6 puddle/diver ducks and 5 mergansers all in one day. On the west coast it is a total of 7 birds, regardless of species.

2. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I think you boys are being a bit harsh on jfe or Jon, as I know him...

Just a bit of background on Jon. I've had him hunt with me a couple of seasons, he is very well traveled waterfowling nut-- that will brave a 45mph nor'easter in a layout boat taking in water up to his arse, to experience a hunt. NO ONE can question his ability and enthusiasim!!!

Furthermore, he is a USCG lisenced captain, and a guide.... trust me .... he knows the laws.

Also, to respect of Dave (who from all my conversations with him, and what I've heard from clients that have gunned with him-- he is a good hard working guide, and I at this time, would not hesitate to share a blind with...) I have heard glowing reports from this young guide Mike Wolski as well.

So Jon is right on recommending him....

Let't not get our panties on a knot, there is an ovious infomercial being thrown for several guides here on the refuge from time to time by folks(myself included)-- and all that tells me is that the person doing the recommending, either had a good time with them, is a personal friend of them and wants to get them bookings, or maybee is related to the guide :l

What I find short sited are the folks that say "guide so and so, is the best darn seaduck guide I know bar none!!". Foolish comment....

Now this tells me a couple of things...

(1) either this person is very limited in their experience with guides (becouse there are several excellent guides that have not been mentioned, Pitboss for one, who I recommened to my clients today on the boat, after they finished a three day hunt with me-- along with others that...)

(2) Or this person has another motive for promoting the XXX guide he or she is ranting about...

What ever!!! All I say ...the cream rises to the top, and there is plenty of clients out there to keep a good guide busy or booked... there is no need to start giving someone that brings another plate to the table , a HARD time.

I don't want to get into a cyber war on this, but I also, don't like seeing a good guy like JFE given a hard time becouse he brought someone else into the fray.

Last comment before jumping off the box....

Very good tidbits of info were given here in this post, along with the infomer... well you know

:D

Take Thor Notus, or Steve Sutton's advice... book with a USCG lisenced guide, they are usually insured, which is what really affects the client. Becouse if God forgive you get hurt or killed, you will NOT be backed financially.

As far as you getting into trouble for booking with a guide without a Capt's lisence-- dosent happen.... they are the one's on the hook (and can get fined heavily).

All it means is that person is a "scab" for lack of a better word, who cares nothing about following the law. So imagine what he thinks about the safety of his clients....

Peace to all of you,

3. seaduckhunt

Here are some pictures of today's foggy Brant hunt, where we took three fanded beauties out of a bag of nine!!!!

Also, some of the eider hunts from the past week....

Let's get back to hunt talk :p

4. seaduckhunt

Two of the three banded... the third had the band far up it's leg, in the feathers, didn't see it till latter... client took it home.....

5. seaduckhunt

Goldeneyes, and banded brant....

6. seaduckhunt

Brant out of fog, over dekes....

7. seaduckhunt

More pix....

8. seaduckhunt

For the Oldsquaw fans....

9. seaduckhunt

Eider landing 10 yards out, over dekes....

10. seaduckhunt

Three hunters from Michigan, NO not Goldy or Jack :l