Big Game Hunting Forum Sponsors

Nosler Ammo

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hink, Jul 14, 2015.

1. Hink

Hink Refuge Member

I need some help picking the right bullet. I have a .308 that I'm going to use hunting hogs, white tails, and antelope. I want to try Nosler ammo. They offer it in Ballistic Tip and AccuBond. Which would be better. Thanks

2. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

For whitetails and antelope, I'd recommend the ballistic tips, but for hogs, it really depends on what type of hogs you're talking about. Some hogs are an average of 150 pounds with very few going 300, but other places you can see some very stout porkers that I wouldn't attempt to hunt with ballistic tips.

Hogs have a very thick gristle plate and very small vitals, so you want something to punch through gristle and bone. I'd be afraid a ballistic tip would explode too soon and you'd lose all penetration.

My personal favorite Noslers are partitions. Very good balance between penetration and expansion with a good mushroom and weight retention.

257 Roberts likes this.
  3. Hink

Hink Refuge Member

Would you use the partition for all three or just hogs? Thanks for the help.

4. nobrownducks

nobrownducks Senior Refuge Member

I would go with Accubond. I used to only shoot Partitions but Nosler rarely makes them anymore. I talked to the ballistic guy at the Nosler shop and he said the Accubond and Partition ballistics were very similar and I should be happy with the Accubond. I shoot a 270WSM and have been shooting the 140 grain Accubond for the last 4 years. I have killed 3 mule deer with them and am very happy with they way they perform. No complaints at all!

5. cococreek

cococreek Senior Refuge Member

I shoot the Accubonds for everything from hogs, deer, moose, elk and sheep
    you wont have any regrets

6. chcltlabz

chcltlabz Elite Refuge Member

I have no experience with the accubonds, but yes, I would shoot the partitions at all of them.

7. blacklab 1

blacklab 1 Refuge Member

I`ve shot partitions since the 1960`s and I don`t think there is a better bullet. Maybe the accubond is better but I have put a lot of meat on the ground with partitions in 50 years. The ballistic tip is great for varmints. I shoot the tip in a 257 Ackley and it does a number on coyotes.

8. Alamosa

Alamosa Elite Refuge Member

I've had great performance from Nosler partition and accubond bullets in several caliber big game rifles (not .308).

I have used the Nosler brand cartriges at the range (can't recall the bullet) but did not justify the extra cost (at least not in my 7mag).

9. ALMODUX

ALMODUX Elite Refuge Member

125 and 150gr .308 Nosler ballistic tips are way tougher than folks think, and expand well. Plenty for deer OR hogs.

10. MissedAgain

MissedAgain Elite Refuge Member

I don't know that much about the ballistic tips or acubonds. Most guides won't let hunters shoot ballistic tips - that has to mean something. That or most guys who do guided hunts are bad shots - I miss without the guide! LOL!

Partitions are the standard by which all other bullets are measured. At least until Barnes came out. I'd go with the partitions if you can get them. 150 grain will do you right. I have those and 150 grain game kings - game kings are 1-hole bullets, hence I like the partitions for 2 holes....

Another thought - 150 grain Remington core loct will kill any deer, hog, or antelope that walks on this continent. People give pigs WAY too much credit - my biggest was 250 or better - with a bow and bare feet - snuck down a powerline and shot him. Most guys around here shoot them with .243s and they die just fine. Deer and speed goats die quick to a lung shot.