Nosler Ammo

Discussion in 'Big Game Hunting Forum' started by Hink, Jul 14, 2015.

1. killerv

killerv Senior Refuge Member

I've been shooting a 130gr ballistic tip for 15 years now out of my 270. Hogs/whitetail...no problem whatsoever. Last hog about 200lbs, behind the shoulder, maybe went 100 yards. If you like exit wounds, ballistic tips may not be the choice for you. Ballistic tips in my experience stay in the animal, most of the time just under the skin on the opposite side...I like this since the animal receives all the energy of the bullet. I shoot for shoulder on whitetail, so 99.99% of the time the animal goes nowhere if I do my part. If you go behind the shoulder with a bt and don't hit any bone, it will punch a hole all the way through and not leave much of a blood trail....but so will a partition. I don't think a 150-175lb whitetail and I'm sure antelope has enough "meat" for a partition to really do what it is designed to do. Larger thicker animals and partitions go great together. A partition would be heck on a larger hog though. Ballistic tips are generally known to be more accurate than partitions.

I'd also consider a soft point, that would be a good choice for both hogs and deer. I have never loaded or had any experience with accubonds.

2. huntinjunkie

huntinjunkie Senior Refuge Member

To choose between a Ballistic Tip and an Accubond you want to look at speed. If you are shooting one of the faster versions of a specific caliber you want to go with the accubond as it will not fragment at high velocity. The Ballistic Tip is a great bullet but you cannot use them at high speed or they frag.

Example: I shoot a 30-06 on whitetail. Love the 180grain Ballistic tip because it has enough mass and not enough speed to fragment. If I shot a faster150grain bullet I would want a more structural bullet like the accubond. This becomes more important as your speeds go above 3000fps

3. 257 Roberts

257 Roberts Refuge Member

The accubond is a really good all-around bullet. It's the one I'd choose for all three, probably in a 150-grain.