Not-so-cute animal tricks. This thead may grow...

Discussion in 'Hunters Rights Forum' started by The Other David, Aug 4, 2005.

  1. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Hunter says he killed cougar in self-defense

    By By MARIJA B. VADER The Daily Sentinel

    Monday, September 19, 2005

    RIFLE — A Denver-area deer hunter shot and killed a mountain lion in self-defense after it brazenly threatened to attack him Friday evening, officials said.

    The hunter, who was not identified, first attempted to scare the animal off by throwing items and yelling at it, said Division of Wildlife spokesman Randy Hampton. But when those actions didn’t faze the approaching cougar, the man shot it with his muzzleloader.

    “It was snarling, hissing at him,” Hampton said. “He threw some stuff at it and couldn’t scare it off.”

    The man had been hunting deer with his muzzleloader in a ground blind, at a stationary location when the cat “came up on him,” Hampton said.

    After he shot the mountain lion, the hunter found the animal dead beneath some bushes.

    The incident took place between 12 and 15 miles north of Rifle on Parker Ridge in Garfield County.

    The hunter immediately notified the Division of Wildlife, and District Wildlife Manager Brian Gray investigated Saturday morning.

    The hunter was not cited, Hampton said.

    “He was certainly within his right to defend himself,” Hampton said.

    The hunter “was a little shaken up — that a lion had rushed him,” Hampton said.

    Wildlife officials found the carcass where the hunter indicated it would be.

    They determined the cat to be 2 to 3 years old.

    Hampton said officials do not know why the animal charged the hunter.

    “What we suspect is it’s a juvenile cat and may have been curious and didn’t know better,” Hampton said.

    “Everything at the scene was consistent with what he told us,” Hampton said. “He had done everything right by reporting it to us.”

    Mountain lion sightings are rare. Rarer still are incidents involving a charging cat, Hampton said.

    “Mountain lions are typically very reclusive and won’t approach humans, so we don’t see a lot of problems,” Hampton said.

    “Mountain lions in their nature will shy away from people.”

    Still, the danger exists.

    “They’re certainly capable of injuring and killing someone.”

    Marija B. Vader can be reached at
  2. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    09/11/05 - Posted from the Daily Record newsroom
    Bowhunter outruns bear in Chester Twp.
    Man taken to hospital after exhausting chase; officials seek animal


    CHESTER TWP. -- The opening day of bow season turned terrifying Saturday afternoon when a hunter --chased through the woods by a 300-pound black bear -- momentarily became the hunted.

    The unidentified hunter was approaching his tree stand in the Black River Wildlife Management Area shortly after noon Saturday, authorities said, when he stumbled across the bear, which ran toward him. As the hunter fled, the bear chased him for about half a mile.

    Shoots arrow

    Desperate and tired, the hunter stopped, turned and shot an arrow toward the bear. Without waiting to see whether his arrow found its mark, the man kept running. The bear, apparently, gave up the chase.

    "He doesn't know if he hit it or not," said Mary Helen Cervantes, spokeswoman for the state Department of Environmental Protection.

    The hunter eventually made it to a Pleasant Hill Road neighborhood, where he collapsed and neighbors called for help. Exhausted and nicked up by his dash through the woods, he was taken by ambulance to a local hospital.

    Cervantes said Division of Fish and Wildlife officers will accompany the hunter back to his tree stand today, where they hope to find the bear that chased him. The agency doesn't plan to set a trap, however, for fear of catching the wrong animal.

    If the bear is captured, Cervantes said, its aggressive behavior toward a human most likely means it will be classified a Category 1 bear and will be destroyed.

    "If this bear was chasing him for half a mile, we see that as aggressive behavior," Cervantes said.

    Along Pleasant Hill Road, neighbors said bears are common because it abuts the 3,042-acre wildlife management area.

    "They are less of a nuisance than the deer,"neighbor Alex Vella said. Four to eight deer appear on his lawn every night.

    New Jersey's fall bow season for deer opened Saturday.
  3. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Sounds like that song from the 50's!

    Pool-loving bear comes back for another lap
    Tuesday, October 04, 2005
    From staff reports
    He's back.

    The black bear that has taken a liking to a Lopatcong Township couple's swimming pool took another dip Monday.

    Brian Oshman was on his back deck when he saw the bear saunter from woods behind his house into the yard off Low's Hollow Road.

    "He got in the pool again," Oshman said.

    Oshman and wife, Heidi, called the state Division of Fish, Game & Wildlife. The agency is scheduled to send an officer and a trap to the house this morning, Brian Oshman said.The Oshmans first spotted the bear in their above-ground pool Sept. 16. They knew he had been there before because of claw marks found on the liner and around the filter, which the couple said he had used to climb into the pool.

    The Oshmans are convinced the bear they saw Monday -- he showed up about 1 p.m. -- is the same one who's been around before.

    "He's not scared," Brian Oshman said. "He should take off when he sees humans. We're just concerned somebody's going to get hurt. That's our main concern. When he comes up, you can't even hear him."

    The bear hung around for 15 minutes or so before disappearing back into the woods, Brian Oshman said. Oshman snapped several photos, just like the last time.

    "He tore a bigger hole in the pool cover and ripped up some more of the (inflatable) pillows," Oshman said. "We'll see what happens."
  4. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Man saves grandson from coyote
    By Lisa Gentes / Daily News Staff
    Thursday, October 6, 2005

    NORTHBOROUGH -- A grandfather hiking a trail by the Assabet River with his 4-year-old grandson was attacked yesterday by a coyote, but saved the youngster by grappling with the animal as it continued to bite him.

    Arthur Cole, 76, was attacked at 4:30 p.m. by a 40-pound gray coyote, according to police. He was bitten several times but his injuries were not life-threatening.

    His grandson, Nicholas, escaped unhurt and ran the half-mile to his grandparents' house in the Birchwood Community housing development to get help, according to his uncle, Dave Cole.

    When Arthur's wife, Barbara, and Nicholas' dad, 44-year-old Peter Cole, asked, "Where's Grampy?" the youngster replied, "A wolf got him," Dave Cole said.

    Peter Cole, who was visiting his parents, jumped into his truck, drove to the development's community center and ran down the trail. "I was yelling for my father. He yelled to me, and he was lying on top of the coyote," Peter said. "I tried to kill it, but there was nothing I could really do."

    Peter called 911 on his cell phone and police and firefighters arrived.

    "We got there and found the guy on top of the animal," firefighter Jamie Desautels said. "The guy basically saved his grandson."

    Firefighters used a snare to restrain the female coyote, which continued to bite Cole, Desautels said. "He stayed pretty calm. He did well," he said of the victim.

    Police then killed the coyote. "We basically choked the animal to death," Police Sgt. James Bruce said.

    Bruce said they couldn't shoot the animal because Cole's arm was under the coyote's head.

    "The coyote attacked Arthur from behind," Dave Cole, 47, later said when he went to his parents' home on Deacon Street to get clothes for his father. The elder Cole had been taken to Marlborough Hospital for treatment.

    "There was a struggle," Dave Cole said. "It went away and came back, and leaped for his neck."

    Cole, a lifelong resident and chairman of Northborough's Trails Committee, had eight bites and needed some stitches, according to his son. "He's going to be fine," Dave Cole said. The trail is flanked by the river on one side and houses and woods on the other.

    "It was traumatic, but we survived," Peter Cole said.

    Arthur Cole is undergoing rabies shots. The dead coyote was taken to Tufts Veterinary School in Westborough for testing.

    Bruce said Tufts will inform police today at noon whether the animal is rabid.

    The sons said their dad often walks down the trail but had never seen a coyote before.

    "It's an unusual event," Dave Cole said. "It's frightening ... for the people here."

    Bruce said in his 20 years on the force, this is the first coyote attack he has seen.

    "We've never had any in the neighborhood," the police sergeant said. "It's the first time a coyote has actively attacked."

    He said the cause of the attack is undetermined, but it was unprovoked. The female coyote may have been protecting her pups, he said.

    Bruce said residents in the housing development were being notified by the community center at the complex.

    He cautioned residents to be aware and alert while walking near woods. Police don't know if there are other coyotes in the area, he said.
  5. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Bear attacks Peninsula couple; one hospitalized
    SKILAK TRAIL: Teacher suffers head, chest wounds; husband scratched.

    Anchorage Daily News

    Published: October 11, 2005

    A Kasilof couple was attacked by a brown bear Sunday afternoon while walking their two dogs on a trail near Skilak Lake Loop Road, according to Alaska State Troopers.

    Colleen Sinnott, 50, suffered serious injuries to her head, chest and side and was taken to Central Peninsula General Hospital, troopers said in a statement. Her husband, John Poljacik, 56, suffered some scratches to his chest and declined treatment.

    Sinnott, a special services teacher at Tustumena Elementary School in Kasilof, remained at the hospital Monday and declined a request for an interview, a spokeswoman said.

    Sinnott and Poljacik, an architect, had parked at a pullout and were walking their two 7-month-old Newfoundland puppies when they spied a brown bear in the distance and turned back, trooper Terrence Shanigan told the Peninsula Clarion.

    With their dogs on leashes, they were only about 100 yards from their vehicle when Sinnott glimpsed what she thought was a moose charging from the alders, according to Shanigan.

    A brown bear slammed into her.

    Sinnott went down, unable to grab her pepper spray in time, then crouched behind a tree. Poljacik dashed for the vehicle to get his canister of spray, but the bear chased him, scratching his back and chest.

    The man scared the bear off without using the spray.

    Sinnott told Shanigan that the whole thing was "just a flash," the Clarion reported. "It was over in 20 seconds."

    In the commotion, the two puppies bolted into the forest. Sinnott told her husband that he should go find the dogs while she went to get help. Neither of them realized the seriousness of her injuries at the time, troopers said later.

    Before she underwent surgery on Sunday night, Sinnott asked a nurse to phone Tustemena school principal John Halverson to let him know he needed to call in a substitute teacher for her small class of special needs students.

    "She's very professional and responsible," Halverson said. "She hasn't missed five days of work in the five years I've been here."

    Her reaction was typical, said Halverson.

    "She's an avid outdoorsman, and she's a person who would have been as well prepared for such things as anybody," he said. "My sense is she would have been more concerned about her pets than anything else."

    Sinnott flagged down a car within a few minutes, and troopers received a cell phone report of the attack about 3:40 p.m. The driver took Sinnott to Watson Lake on the Sterling Highway, where she was transferred to a Central Emergency Services ambulance and taken to the hospital.

    It turned out Sinnott suffered from a large slash that opened her scalp across the back of her head, a wound hidden under her long hair, Shanigan told the Clarion. Her shoulder was dislocated or broken.

    Officers from the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge responded to the scene, where Poljacik was searching for his dogs. A brown puppy was found early Sunday night, but a black puppy remained missing, troopers said.

    While several bears were seen in the area, officers were unable to locate the animal that attacked the couple.

    The country along Skilak Loop contains prime brown bear habitat, with berries and salmon runs, and hikers should always be aware of the possibility of seeing or surprising a bear, said Jeff Selinger, area biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game. "There's always been a lot of bear activity there."

    The mauling happened near a trail head near Skilak Lake Loop Road, about eight miles in from the Sterling Highway.
  6. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Bear treed outside Nevada governor's office known to officers
    Sunday, October 9, 2005

    CARSON CITY, Nev. -- A well-traveled bear caused some consternation at the state Capitol when it took up quarters in a tree within sight of the governor's office.

    The 320-pound black bear climbed about 30 feet into the tree early Friday, but officers scared it into climbing down by turning on flood lights.

    When the bear was eight or 10 feet off the ground, Carl Lackey, game biologist with the Nevada Department of Wildlife, shot it in the behind with a tranquilizer dart.

    A couple of minutes later, the bear dropped unconscious and unhurt to the ground.

    Lackey, who specializes in handling bears and other large animals, said this isn't the department's first encounter with this bear. The 5-year-old male -- with ID tag number 105 in his left ear -- was caught in a south Reno neighborhood in May 2004 and in northern Douglas County in late 2004.

    "He's an urban nuisance bear," said Lackey.

    His repeat offense status earned him the wildlife equivalent of a house arrest ankle bracelet: A global positioning system tracking device was placed around the neck of the unconscious bear before it was released back into the wild.

    Lackey said he hopes studying the movements of bears like this one and comparing them with bears that stay in the wild will help biologists understand why bears keep coming into urban areas.

    The tracking collar can be detached from the bear using a radio signal as long as the animal is within about a mile from where the signal is sent, said Alyson Andreasen a volunteer biologist working with the Nevada Division of Wildlife.

    Andreasen said No. 105 is a good candidate for the tracking collar because "he's never doing anything to bother anyone."

    "He's a pretty shy bear," she said. "Every time he's been caught, he's been hiding from people."

    She said he's just looking for food to fatten up in time for winter hibernation and, although he's a bit thin, he's in good shape to make it through the winter.

    "He's a strong, healthy, big bear," she said. "Just not very fat. He could grow another 100 to 150 pounds."

    She said he was probably "moving back and forth between the Sierra Nevada and the Pine Nut Mountains crossing through town and hitting the Dumpsters on the way."/AP
  7. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    When I first read the headline I was hoping it was about drunk croc!

    Australian study finds alcohol linked to croc attacks
    Oct 19 1:33 PM US/Eastern

    Almost one in three people bitten by deadly saltwater crocodiles in Australia had been drinking alcohol before the animal attacked, new research has found.

    An Australian review of unprovoked crocodile attacks on humans between 1971 and 2004 found that 29 percent of the 62 attacks had involved some alcohol consumption by the victim.

    "About one-third of the people who had been attacked had actually been drinking alcohol," study co-author Charlie Manolis told AFP Wednesday.

    "But it doesn't mean they were ... (drunk) when they fell into the river -- although it did happen."

    Manolis said the research found that crocodiles were opportunistic predators and that when people took risks while in their habitat, they sometimes paid the ultimate price.

    "Sometimes when people do drink they throw caution to the wind," he said.

    The study, published in the US-based Wilderness Medical Society journal, found that fatal attacks had remained roughly stable at about two per year since the 1970s.

    "But the number of non-fatal attacks has increased markedly," Manolis said.

    Non-fatal attacks increased sharply from about 0.1 per year between 1971 and 1980 to 3.3 per year from 2001 to 2004, according to the study.

    The research found that most attacks (81 percent) occurred while the victim was swimming or wading and that all fatal attacks involved water.

    Manolis said the dramatic increase in the saltwater crocodile population since the species was protected in the early 1970s was not necessarily responsible for the increase in attacks.

    The number of wild "salties" estimated to live in the Northern Territory has jumped from as few as 3,000 in 1971 to more than 75,000 currently.

    But he said because the average size of crocodiles had increased over that time, the animals attacking humans had often changed from a small "hatchling" to a four-metre giant weighing hundreds of kilograms.

    Last month a man was killed by a five-metre crocodile while diving near Darwin, five days after a British snorkeller was taken and killed by a croc.

    But Manolis does not think culling is the answer.

    "It's people being sensible," he said.
  8. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Cougar country may be moving into the Midwest
    Big cats reported in region after long absence
    By Jim Suhr
    The Associated Press

    CARBONDALE, Ill. — Kenny Tharp was hunting deer near the Mississippi River last season when he saw something astonishing curled beneath a pine tree: the body of a 98-pound cougar.

    Tharp's discovery was just the second confirmed sighting of a cougar in Illinois in more than a century — and it came less than five years after the first.

    Sightings of cougars, also called mountain lions, have been reported across the Midwest in recent years, and a nationwide effort is scratching for evidence of how many cougars now live in middle America, where the big cats thrived generations ago.

    No government agency tracks cougar numbers, so the Cougar Network, based in Concord, Mass., took up the challenge.

    Using the discovery of carcasses, verifiable photos and cougar DNA from droppings and hair samples, the network is trying to get a sense of the size of the cougar population east of the Rocky Mountains.

    It isn't easy. Some people confuse cougars with bobcats, a smaller animal that's far more common in the Midwest, says Mark Dowling, who helped found the Cougar Network about three years ago. “We constantly get pictures of things people think are mountain lions, and they turn out to be domestic cats and retrievers,” Dowling says.

    Cougars were nearly hunted out of existence in most of the Midwest by the early 1900s. Populations of the generally reclusive animals managed to survive in remote, mountainous areas out West. However, there's nothing to verify that the animals survived in the Midwest, except in South Dakota's Black Hills, says Dave Hamilton, a Missouri Department of Conservation research biologist.

    Cougar Network officials say that may be changing.

    In Illinois, a cougar was killed by a train in 2000 about 60 miles southeast of St. Louis. Three have been killed in Iowa since 2000.

    A young cougar was killed by a vehicle in 2003 near Fulton, Mo. It was at least the eighth confirmed case in Missouri since 1994, when a hunter shot a small cougar near Mark Twain National Forest.

    Other sightings have been too close for human comfort.

    In North Dakota in June, two mountain bikers came face to face with a cougar they say followed them for more than a mile and came within 10 feet. They chased off the animal by throwing rocks and screaming.

    In 2003, an 80-pound mountain lion was captured in Omaha.

    Some Midwest cougars may be younger males driven out of the West by dominant males or by urban sprawl that squeezes their habitat. Others could be migrating from South Dakota. That state's Game, Fish and Parks Commission estimates that about 145 cougars roam the Black Hills.

    South Dakota's first hunting season for mountain lions got underway Oct. 1, and 11 cougars had been killed by Wednesday.

    Clay Nielsen, a Southern Illinois University wildlife ecologist who heads the Cougar Network's scientific research, says the Mark Twain forest offers good habitat.

    “They'd have all the food they ever wanted, as long as we didn't shoot them,” Nielsen says.
  9. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Bear chases man into house
    Posted: Wednesday, Nov 09, 2005 - 12:17:33 pm PST

    Hungry Horse News

    Thank God for doors.

    Olaf Ervin came face to face with a black bear last Tuesday (Nov. 1), but luckily there was a door between him and the bruin.

    At about 9 p.m. he had been leaving his grandparents', Chuck and Marion Fisher, home on the North Fork Road just outside Columbia Falls.

    He walked out their door holding his 15-month-old daughter, Emma. Just as they got to the final step of the porch he heard a woofing sound.

    That's when the sow came rushing up from behind them.

    “It sounded like a Tasmanian devil was charging us,” he said the next day.

    The bear made an abrupt turn on the sidewalk and skidded just a few feet in front of Ervin.

    As this happened, he quickly turned and went back up the three stairs.

    He took about two steps to the door.

    Then fumbled to open the door, but managed to get inside.

    He shut the door and found himself looking back at the bear.

    “Just as I pushed the door shut then the bear put her paws up on the door,” he said. “We were nose to nose.”

    Ervin said the bear had two cubs with her and was likely near an apple tree just 30 feet from the porch before she charged him.

    He had been leaving to walk the short distance back to his own house, but decided that wasn't the best idea after what happened.

    So, he called neighbors Wanda and James Barry to come and look for the bear.

    They arrived and shown lights around, but didn't find the bear.

    Ervin, with his daughter, got into a vehicle and drove home.

    “All we did was step off the porch. We didn't do anything to provoke her,” Ervin said.

    To him, Ervin said, it doesn't seem like it's possible the whole thing could have happened. His daughter was unfazed by the incident.

    “She must have just thought it was a dog,” he said.

    Ervin believes that the bear had been hanging out in the area for a few days.

    Just days earlier a deer that had been hanging behind his house appeared to have been eaten by something.

    He also thinks this is the second encounter he's had with the bear.

    Just the day before the incident Ervin had been hunting about a half mile behind his grandparents' house when he saw a sow and cubs.

    “I had a deer in the crosshairs (of the gun),” he said. “When I heard a woof.”

    The bear was about 15 feet away in a brush pile. Her cubs climbed a nearby tree and she began popping her jaw at Ervin.

    “I forgot all about the deer and backed away,” he said.

    Ervin, who has lived in that area all of his life, said seeing bears like this is unusual.

    In March, a black bear was thought to have killed four of the next door neighbor's goats in that same area. A trap was placed in the area, but no bear was caught.

    “In the past four or five years there's been an increase in the number,” Ervin said. “Before that you didn't see bears.”

    Ervin took the whole situation lightheartedly, but after the incident, he and his wife, Trish, are taking extra precautions.

    They are no longer leaving their dog out on its run and the kids are being kept inside.

    “Normally the kids walk freely between (the two houses),” he said. “Certainly that won't be the case now.”

    Fish, Wildlife and Parks set up a bear trap near the house on Nov. 2.
  10. The Other David

    The Other David Elite Refuge Member

    Apr 15, 2000
    Bear shot by hunter bites back, dies

    Saturday, November 26, 2005; Posted: 7:40 a.m. EST (12:40 GMT)
    Manage Alerts | What Is This? HARRISBURG, Pennsylvania (AP) -- A black bear bit and clawed a hunter who had just shot it four times in what game authorities said appeared to be a first for the state.

    Samuel H. Beauchamp, 47, said he was approaching the downed 320-pound bear in Rothrock State Forest in central Pennsylvania on Monday, the first day of bear-hunting season, when it came after him.

    Beauchamp, of nearby Newville, had just shot the bear with a .444-caliber rifle and was within 15 feet of it. He turned to run, but the bear put a claw around his hip and bit him twice, once in each thigh, before dying.

    "The bear wasn't attacking 100 percent. I mean really, it was dead on its feet when it came up. If it would have been 100 percent I wouldn't have been standing there," Beauchamp said Friday.

    Other hunters heard a growl and came to Beauchamp's aid.

    "It was shock at first. It's like he came alive, like 'boom.' I guess he growled, like the other people heard. That motivated me to turn around and start running away," he said.

    Game commission bear biologist Mark Ternent said the attack was the first case known to state officials in which a bear had attacked a hunter who had just shot it and was attempting to recover it.

    Beauchamp was released from the hospital after about two hours of treatment. One bite went down to the bone.

    "I didn't feel any pain after it happened," he said Friday. "I'm a little sore now."

Share This Page