Nov Calling Techniques

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunters Forum' started by HeadHunter, Nov 9, 2011.

1. HeadHunter

HeadHunter Senior Refuge Member

It has been unseasonably warm around these parts as such, I've got some calling questions. I've been out twice this fall. Did 2 sets with one harvest, and did one set with no harvest. I could hear the yotes all around me but they would not show. So I'm wondering if it is too early for rabbit in distress. Normally I'll do locator, pause for 2 min, then rabbit. Before I leave the stand I do kiyi pup in distress. I'm kinda freaked because these are new dogs with virgin ears but did not respond.

So what is working in your area?

thanks
    Mark

2. calling4life

calling4life Elite Refuge Member

It is never too early or the wrong time to use a distress call, that includes fawn in distress, hell I've heard of people using monkey distress sounds with success, and we don't have monkeys here.
    They succumb to curiosity just like any other animal, they also take advantage of opportunities, like prey in distress.

I hit them with everything, locator howls, female invites, challenge, pup in distress, kiyi, fox in distress, then various rabbits as well. Then, I'll mix sounds.

3. howard s.

howard s. Elite Refuge Member

Virgin ears or maybe could other hunter be working them also?
    Could they be busting you from down wind?

Time to think outside the box...do something other than what the other hunter are doing.