Now Indians want use electronic calls.....

Discussion in 'Political Action Forum' started by KENNEDY63, Sep 16, 2017.

1. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

There are probably quite a few things the second generation is doing differently with a lot of things. But they were raised here and corruption isn't as blatant and part of the accepted system as it was in their parents original country. Offer a game warden here a bribe to ignore the limitX3 and the result is not going to be so good.

When the first generation showed up here they immediatly went out and bought ducks...chickens and other what's for dinner critters. Then as they learned they could simply go to the local supermarket, many of which catered to the very diverse ethnic culture here, the birds didn't get replaced. We're in the city pretty much and we had roosters in back yards cockle dooing do every morning. Haven't heard one in years now nor seen any commercial ducks in our neighborhood either.

Footnote: I believe that's one of the reasons we haven't been hit by ME terrorists here as much as in other parts of the World. They see the wealth and welcomeness we extend to them here and they just simply find a new home they don't want to destroy.

I know the substinance thing here is treated differently than in some parts of the country. We do not have a sales tax on fishing worms, other bait I don't know about, because it was considered an item used to gather food. It's been awhile and I think this reg was changed but a person didn't need a license to fish with a cane pole here in Texas because it was not considered sport fishing but food gathering. Again...I think that reg is no longer in effect.

Well...and that's the rest of the story.

API likes this.
  2. Ron Gilmore

Ron Gilmore Elite Refuge Member

We forget to often that our nation signed a treaty for them to do the things they want. I don't like it but it is what it is. We cant whine about the improved technology they want to use because that is not spelled out as prohibited. To bad they didn't state that the items used to capture the game and fish had to be native hand crafted and no firearms either. Think about the date of the treaty! Muzzle loaders, caps vs flint lock was the biggest improvement and rifling! Never imagined e-callers and modern weapons or transportation.
    But it is treaty!

3. Bear

Bear Elite Refuge Member

Cited from the referenced article:

Continuing from the article:

For 2017, GLIFWC proposes off-reservation special migratory bird hunting regulations on behalf of the member Tribes of the Voigt Intertribal Task Force of GLIFWC (for the 1837 and 1842 Treaty areas in Wisconsin and Michigan), the Mille Lacs Band of Ojibwe and the six Wisconsin Bands (for the 1837 Treaty area in Minnesota), and the Bay Mills Indian Community (for the 1836 Treaty area in Michigan). Member Tribes of the Task Force are: the Bad River Band of the Lake Superior Tribe of Chippewa Indians, the Lac Courte Oreilles Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, the Lac du Flambeau Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, the Red Cliff Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians, the St. Croix Chippewa Indians of Wisconsin, and the Sokaogon Chippewa Community (Mole Lake Band), all in Wisconsin; the Mille Lacs Band of Chippewa Indians and the Fond du Lac Band of Lake Superior Chippewa Indians in Minnesota; and the Lac Vieux Desert Band of Chippewa Indians and the Keweenaw Bay Indian Community in Michigan.

The GLIFWC 2017 proposal has four changes from regulations approved last season. First, in the 1837 and 1842 Treaty Areas, the GLIFWC proposal would allow up to 50 Tribal hunters to use electronic calls for any open season under a limited and experimental design under a special Tribal permit. In addition to obtaining a special permit, the Tribal hunter would be required to complete and submit a hunt diary for each hunt where electronic calls were used. Second, GLIFWC also proposes to allow the take of migratory birds (primarily waterfowl) with the use of hand-held nets, hand-held snares, and/or capture birds by hand in the 1837 and 1842 Treaty Areas. The GLIWFC proposal for the use of nets, snares, or by hand would include the take of birds at night. Third, GLIFWC proposes beginning the current swan season September 1 rather than November 1 in the 1837 and 1842 Treaty Areas. However, the trumpeter swan quota would remain at 10 swans. Lastly, GLIFWC proposes the addition of a sandhill crane hunting season in the 1836 Treaty Area.

GLIFWC states that the proposed regulatory changes are intended to increase the subsistence opportunities for tribal migratory bird hunters and provide opportunities for more efficient harvesting. Under the GLIFWC's proposed regulations, GLIFWC expects total ceded territory harvest to be approximately 2,000 to 3,000 ducks, 400 to 600 geese, 20 sandhill cranes, and 20 swans, which, with the exception of ducks, is roughly similar to anticipated levels in previous years for those species for which seasons were established. GLIFWC further anticipates that tribal harvest will remain low given the small number of tribal hunters and the limited opportunity to harvest more than a small number of birds on most hunting trips.

As I understand it this is for off reservation use. I don't believe "electronic callers" were considered in the original treaty. Are the agencies involved following the treaties or modifying the treaties?

Question: Is this a subsistence issue or a sustenance issue?

4. Squaller

Squaller Elite Refuge Member

I'd really like to see the historic early electronic calls that were traditionally used by Native Americans...

5. API

API Political Action Forum Moderator Flyway Manager

Hey, some newly "enlightened" folks even want to renege on our Constitution.

6. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

Many of which, in any other legal scenario, were revoked outright, or should have lapsed due to non-use by tribes. "Indian law"is a one sided mess that gives the vast majority of the bargaining chips to the tribes, as any ambiguity is re-written to favor the tribes.

I would like to see the Trump administration revoke or renegotiate using gaming rights as a bargaining chip.

Squaller likes this.
  7. rhpierce

rhpierce Elite Refuge Member

Allow more subsistence opportunities...sure.

Like the way they do to muskies up north...go look on the garbage piles at huge muskies and see lakes where no muskies can legally be kept by non-native fishermen because the natives went in and caught X number in order to prevent any take that year...forget the economic impact to the area, the time it takes to grow trophy fish, and anything else...oh, the natives signed a treaty they could do whatever here...

snaring and netting at night...why not spotlighting and punt gunning? I'd pay for the chance to scull down on a flock and cut loose...since England is the only place left where it's legal to do so...

Native populations and game laws are a total mess.