Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

NR freelancers break 28 laws while in SK

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by tikka300, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Lead Net

Lead Net Senior Refuge Member

NORSKE,
    I have no problem with people knowing where I hunt... it's wide open country there and plenty of room for all. and no, we don't stay at the hotel. Sometimes we'll rent a house if one is available, sometimes we get a couple 5th wheel camper trailers brought in to the farm where we stay from Saskatoon. As for the birds we shoot? Well, the locals that we hunt with take some, we give some to a few old time farmers we know that can’t get out anymore but still enjoy getting a few, and the rest we take home with us. I don’t think I have filled a limit yet, I mean what can a guy do with all those birds? Jerky? You see NORSKE, not all Americans are pig hunters. We don’t shoot everything up in site. We go up and visit… hunt a bit, help with harvest if it's still going on, by driving truck and moving seed to different bins to make room if needed. A fall supper or two. And just basically have a good time.
    There is plenty of money being spent by hunters up there… if you don’t believe me, maybe you’ll believe my bank account statements. We buy our groceries when we get up there…gas isn’t cheap… we usually buy gifts for a few of the farmers that we know to show our gratitude for them allowing us to hunt their fields and for their hospitality. What is your best friend’s father’s name? Maybe we know them, as we know most in the area.
    PM me if you want and I’ll chat with you… Your fiends father must be a good guy if he farms around their as I think we’ve met them all and only encountered one who was kind of a jerk… but he died years ago.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Lead Net, you remind me of most of the freelance hunters I know. Some don't even hunt everyday, and most like to fish and hunt upland birds, and just relax. Most of our problems are with the outfitter's hunters, who are under pressure for limit, limit, limit every day. With both legal and illegal outfitters in this area, it just taints hunting for everyone else. (ps. I LOVE goose and duck jerky, and consume it every day. I've got 85 lbs of smokies, summer sausage, garlic sausage, and pepperonies to pick up this weekend. It you shoot them , then eat them)

3. GOOSE ROLLER

GOOSE ROLLER Senior Refuge Member

I have been hunting canada for the past 15 years and have never had a problem with what to do with birds, we eat a few and take the rest home. All of you who have a problem staying within your legal limits STAY HOME!! I don't want to be required to use an outfitter, I have more gear than most and have been hunting as long or longer than most but I really just like the challenge of doing it myself. I really like the idea of tags for birds and might I suggest immediate expulsion for any violators of the tagging system. Those of you that keep posting that you give birds away, thats great but why don't you count those birds against your legal limit. When you are giving those birds away and then taking more to replace them... it makes your act of generosity seem very suspect. In the 15 years that I have been traveling to canada, I have asked most of the farmers if they would like a bird or two if we had sucess and have only had 2 say yes, and we gladly brought them cleaned and packaged birds the next day. I prefer to offer other tokens of my appreciation for the hospitality that I have been shown.STAY HOME IF YOU CAN'T STOP AT YOUR LIMIT!!!

4. tikka300

tikka300 Elite Refuge Member

:clap :tu Well said!

5. ROUGHNECK

ROUGHNECK Guest

I bet if people had to clean thier own birds instead of hiring someone they wouldnt shoot near as many .people who gift large #S of birds to keep shooting are greedy and would not do it at home so why is it allright just because they are on a trip ? I wonder also who these birds are gifted to?
    the average farmer i know perfers beef and might take a plucked mallard or goose to roast but thats all , makes me wonder just were all these hungry farmers are hiding.

6. bwalker

bwalker Senior Refuge Member

Does Canada have a orginization equivelant to Sportsman feeding the hungry?

7. tripleb

tripleb Elite Refuge Member

Or would a local food bank take the processed meat? Perhaps, if either was available, it could serve to eliminate the temptation for some to dispose of game in a wasteful manner.

8. sjemac

sjemac Moderator

Can't do it with waterfowl. Shot and feathers in the meat means it will never pass health inspection.

9. oldducknut

oldducknut Elite Refuge Member

Our province tried to introduce roadkill (venison)some years back and it was to be inspected prior to consumption. Problem was our so called needy thumbed their noses at it and the plan failed.
    A food bank would probably be required by law to have inspected by a federal meat inspector any meat destined for the general publics consumption.

10. juniorhoss

juniorhoss Elite Refuge Member

I was in SK when this all went down and read it in the papers and it really angered me.. I have hunted in SK for 5 years now and I hunt with a couple of very dear friends I met on a small farm right after 9/11. Hearing stories that they have told me from meeting literally hundreds of US hunters going back into the '70s they never had or saw any real problems with freelance hunters. All the problems like the one in the article were usually related to hunters that were with outfitters they said. My friends in SK are ADAMANTLY against mandating US/Non-resident hunters hunt with outfitters because they have made so many friends that come up to hunt every year that they would not see any more.

I don't think that *gifting* large amounts of birds is a great idea because I have not ever encountered any people that really *wanted* them, but I have heard plenty of local people tell me that they have taken birds they didn't really want because more or less they felt like *should* take them. I personally have gifted a few birds, but I was asked if I had any birds to spare. Actually while I was up this year I got my truck stuck BAAD and had to walk to the nearest farmhouse about 2 miles away for help. After the fine gentleman pulled me out I offered him $100 CAD and he absolutely would not take it. I said I didn't feel right about that and asked if there was anything else I could offer him, his reply was he wanted some fresh goose breasts! But for that one exception and a couple of others I have not met many people that wanted any of the birds I have ever shot in SK. Since I stay with my friends when I go up there we eat a TON of geese while I'm there. We have it for dinner, make jerky, sausage, and by the time I leave there usually isn't any left. If there is any left it gets eaten.

But this practice of hunters going up there and killing large numbers of birds and either dumping them, gifting them or wasting them just so they can hunt more is BS! I just got back from 10 days in SK and if I hadn't eaten as many specks either for dinner or made jerky I would have been done the first 2 days with a total of about 40 minutes of hunting. I guess what I'm trying to say is if your going up for more than 3-4 days then a person better be eating alot of birds or preparing not to hunt! I only shot 7 white geese total in 14 days hunting this year in SK, I could have just as easily killed hundreds the way the birds decoyed for us this year. BUT, knowing there is NO way I was going to eat that many, nor did I want to bring my possesion limit back OR gift them away I killed what I wanted to eat and left it at that. I really wish that the portion of non-resident hunters that insist on killing big limits every day would learn to do the same thing!

As far as the tags for migratory birds go, I would be ALL FOR IT! I shot my alloted season limit of upland game birds and tagged every single one of them, I don't suspect I would have too much trouble tagging geese. It would keep the more dis-honest people in check, and would allow the good guys that do go up there and obey all the rules to the letter of the law a chance to still hunt the great land of Canada. But outright banning freelance hunting for migratory birds is a bad, bad idea and it is painting with FAR too broad a stroke to squelch a small but serious problem.