Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

NR freelancers break 28 laws while in SK

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by tikka300, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Hi Norske,

I was in Alberta the week of the 9th-15th. I shot a limit of lessers the first day, and a limit of ducks and geese the second day. I killed the 24 birds with 31 shells, and picked up my empties, of course.

After shooting my goose possession limit, I took pictures. I came home a bit early because the weather was quite mild and I worried about spoilage. I brought home the birds, four cases of Big Rock Black Amber Ale, and four free glasses (two Big Rock Alberta Centennial's and two Grasshopper's), plus photos and memories.

The poachers should be stripped of all the equipment used to commit the crimes, plus pay the fines. I'm talking truck, trailer, guns, shells, binoculars, blinds, decoys, calls, camo clothing, the whole shebang. Let them make other arrangments for transportation home.

These guys are not hunters, they're criminals, and should be treated as such. It would be excellent to establish reciprocal agreements between the US and Canada, so that people who poach here may not hunt up there, and vice versa. We don't want guys like that hunting here, either.

2. G.B. Jack

G.B. Jack Elite Refuge Member

3. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

Bingo! Finally, someone who "gets it."

4. Wood Duck Crazy

Wood Duck Crazy Elite Refuge Member

juniorhoss and paddler...

It is guys like yourselves that are truly waterfowlers that we should welcome to our country... I hope that you continue to visit us and bring others like yourselves...

5. juniorhoss

juniorhoss Elite Refuge Member

Thank you very much for the compliment WDC, that means alot to me.. I look at my ability to hunt in Canada as a privelage, not a right and I go out of my way to make sure that I respect the people, the resources, and the oppurtunity to go as such.

On another note, I talked with my friend in SK last night, turns out he got a call from a friend that had some freelancers from Wisconsin that wanted to hunt their land.. To make a long story short, at the end of the shoot when they were dividing up the birds the guys from WI tried to *gift* my 2 friends all of their birds, to make a long story short there were some real unhappy guys when they had to keep their birds. And one of the guys was a GAME WARDEN! :eek: Needless to say the guys from WI wont be hunting around there again when most of the birds in that area are on land that he either owns, or knows the landowners.. Guys like that give the rest of us who don't do that a real bad name and it really makes me mad, not to mention making the locals mad! :mad: :mad:

6. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Thanks, Wood Duck Crazy. It seems to me that the time and money committment required to hunt Canada either makes guys want to get their "money's worth" or kicks in their competitive urge. Hunters are always wanting to talk numbers, as though that is a measure of success.

It's really nice to relax up there and concentrate on just enjoying yourself. As I said before, I took some pictures, went for a couple of long runs, etc. None of us need to worry about where our next meal is coming from, so killing every bird isn't important. Don't get me wrong, I really enjoy eating the birds I take, as do my family and friends.

I will keep returning to Canada so long as my freelancing privileges remains unrestricted. It's beautiful country with a profusion of wildlife and great people.

7. Duxrule

Duxrule Elite Refuge Member

I was just up there for 6 days, and we shot 100 birds for the 6 of us. Our limit is near that EACH, so lay down some. Not everybody that comes up there is a pro, and some of us come there for the experience. I got my first ever speck, first ever crane, and first Hun. We didn't care a RIP that we didn't get our limits on even 1 day, let alone the trip.

That being said, the ****heads that killed the owl should be strung up by their nuts and left to dry!!! We heard when we were up there that the dorks tried to get across the border with it on top of it all.

8. muddyriver

muddyriver Senior Refuge Member

I just wanted to add my .02 cents on the outlaws. They are not hunters but poachers. Hunters respect the land and the enviroment they are in. Hunters are out there for the experience not the kill. Poachers should have the book thrown at them. I also believe that if you are hunting a new area a person has the responsiblility to know the law. As far as free lancing. I love it! I know I don't shoot a tenth of the birds the people that have guides, but that is my choice. If everything is threw a guide, how does one meet people and work for their game. I say let people do as they want. Some would rather pay 200 dollars a day and kill, kill, kill. I would rather burn 200 dollars in gas, see the country side, meet new people, and get 1 or 2 birds. But that me!!!

9. Paddler

Paddler Banned

The price isn't $200/day, more like $500/day. Sean Mann charges $1950 for a three day hunt. Five hunters in a field equals $3250/day gross revenue.

10. Ontario Gunner

Ontario Gunner Elite Refuge Member

Thats insane! for $3250,,,, I bet Kirk Miner would let you sit outside the sanctuary as hes banding! :no