Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

NR freelancers break 28 laws while in SK

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by tikka300, Oct 19, 2005.

1. Paddler

Paddler Banned

Remember, that's gross revenue. It includes motel, two meals/day plus guide fees. I'm sure his overhead is substantial. But the bottom line is people are willing to pay it, so that's between him and his clients.

The price doesn't include airfare to Edmonton, ground transportation, bird processing($6/bird), alcohol, ammunition, etc. The cost per hunter is probably in the $3000+ range.

2. Dan Mallia

Dan Mallia Elite Refuge Member

I don't want to ruffle any feathers but the time I've had the opportunity to hunt in Alberta was amazing. We did keep within our possession limits, just so happened the folks we were staying with used to be avid hunters until her husband was injured and couldn't hunt as much as he liked to so they gladly took the birds we didn't eat :tu

We ate goose almost every night, cut down on the food costs. Nothing like watching sunset on the Alberta landscape grilling speck breasts marinated in Italian dressing and wrapped in bacon :tu

I'm glad they caught these pigs. In no way are they "hunters". If freelancing is ever banned in Canada, we'll have idiots like those to blame.

3. maddogg

maddogg Senior Refuge Member

he!!.....I would just like to have the oppurtunity to experience hunting waterfowl in saskatchewan..

4. deadduck

deadduck Refuge Member

I just got back from a hunt with Sean from Oct 24 - 26. I took my dad up there and a duck hunting buddy of mine and his wife joined us. We had a great time. Day 1 was 60 degrees and not a cloud in the sky, wind was wrong, etc... and the birds didn't work at all. Sean said it was the second worst day in his eight years up there as far as number of birds bagged. We had 8 birds for 6 hunters. We had a great time nonetheless watching flight after flight of geese fly over us and enjoyed the time in the field.

Day 2 and 3, we had excellent hunting on lessers with a few ducks and snows mixed in.

Meals were included in price and the restaurant had an extensive menu including steak and lobster if you are so inclined. Accomodations were more than adequate for a hunting trip. We also had a home cooked meal one evening with desert, wine and all the fixings prepared by one of his guides and his wife. Fresh baked cinammon rolls and apple streudel each morning, etc...

The trip was pricey but IMO, it was worth it. It was our first hunting trip to Canada and while I also enjoy "doing it on my own" when hunting (which is what I do 99% of the time), its sometimes nice to just go and not have to worry about anything. Especially since none of us had been to Canada before.

One of these days, we'll have to try a free lance trip up there. The country is beautiful and the people seemed very genuine and friendly.

5. h2ofwlr

h2ofwlr Elite Refuge Member

THE FINES WERE NOT NEARLY ENOUGH--THEY SHOULD HAVE BEEN IMPRISONED FOR 6 MONTHS TIME! They should have been fined the equivelent of 6 months of prisment (so not hardship the CA taxpayers) on top of the game fines, and then IMPRISONED for the 6 MONTHS! Boy does those poachers **** me off! :mad:

As for outfitters, I guess you think all Americans are rich or something, it cost me $800 USD for a 1 week trip. I save for 6 months for it. If outfitters had to be hired--it would be at least double that, but more likely triple that cost as many are charging a min of $300 a day now, and some are closer to $500. And that does not inlude the lic or getting there, My $800 includes eveything. Frankly if I had to use a guide, I would not be able to afford it all. :(

Lets look for a sensible solution.

Do a 7 day license for NRs--that is it. No more of the crap of guys staying there for weeks on end shooting limit after limit. That is pure BS IMO.

Or do possession tags for NRs, meaning one would have to tag each bird and you are issued the tags with the lic. You get 1 possession limit total in tags. That is it. If you gift birds-it comes out of your possession tags.

Enough of the game hogs, it is time to clamp down on the NR game hogs in a sensible way that does not prevent undue economic hardship the average Joe hunter from hunting CA freelancing.

6. LabMan44

LabMan44 Elite Refuge Member

Do the locals not break any laws? Why not make everyone hunt with a game warden. 99.9% of hunters are law abiding

7. gooseaholic

gooseaholic Elite Refuge Member

The sad, simple truth to this story is the fact that it would have made news ANYWHERE in North America regardless of who committed the violations and where they were from.

Slob hunters are slob hunters whether they are NR visiting Canada or vice versa.

Too many times all it takes is the rotten apple...

Is this a representation of what always happens? I certainly don't think so. If these were residents it still would have made the news but most likely not caused such an uproar.

I hunted near the Oak Hammock WMA this past October (without a guide) and met several exceptionally friendly farmers. I was surprised and shocked when one even went so far as to get his binocs to scout for us when we left to get our permission slips. From what I read on this forum I expected to meet resistance but that was not the case.

The dilemma regarding poss. limits is a difficult one... hopefully one that will not be decided by a small (non-representative) group of NR's.