nuisance goose permits?noth dakota!google it!

Discussion in 'North Dakota Flyway Forum' started by coco201061554, Oct 16, 2017.

1. coco201061554

coco201061554 New Member

each permit allows for the killing of 60 canada geese!starting april 1st until august!goslings, adults and destroy nests .firearms now include rifles!all this because they eat some of the billions of pounds of subsidized corn wheat beans etc,,what next the ducks?

2. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Thought I might give my 2 cents on this thread. I have a farm here in Alabama and use this type of permit in the spring to protect my crop. The geese are resident canada geese that come off golf courses and nearby lakes and are a real problem. 20-30 geese in a freshly planted corn or bean field can wipe out 1 acre in 1 day which I have seen several times. These geese will pull up a corn sprout and eat the seed off the end and leave the rest. We kill the geese with a 22 mag. and it only takes a few days to make them leave so its not a slaughter you think it might be. Last spring we killed 18 total on a 220 acre field and we are required to keep records of kill and turn info in to the biologist.

3. Dean Nelson

Dean Nelson Moderator Goose Hunting/North Dakota Moderator

Well this is one dumb thread. Thanks for telling us about something that is well known and been going on for 20 years. But I will gladly come to your house a pull a few thousand dollars out of your wallet and see just how much you like it!

4. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

OP has zero understanding of the damage to soybeans that molting geese can do. Congratulations on rushing to the internet without doing research. I bet it would really blow your mind if I told you state game agencies routinely drill eggs on nests, not only on private land, but on sportsman funded USFWS waterfowl production areas?

5. WK2HNT

WK2HNT Senior Refuge Member

Well said Dean, this guy has no idea what he is talking about.

6. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

Dude posted this same complaint on the DU migration map. I laughed. a 5 second google search would provide hours of reading on goose depredation and the balance wildlife managers must maintain between species numbers, land owner tolerance, etc.