NWFL Duck Impoundment - Need Opinions /Help!!!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BULL SPRIG 88, Dec 23, 2016.

1. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for weighing in. As JFG mentioned above... it is a "labor of love" for me and having a honey hole on your own farm is worth more than MANY guided trips. You guys talked me into giving NRCS, DU, & USFWS another shot. I'm gonna go by the local USFWS office within the next week and discuss programs with them. If I strike out there... I will give the NRCS another shot, then DU. If none in my area are cooperative or interested... I will likely tackle it on my own. I'm a process guy at heart. If I'm able to pull it off and even if it only attracts a decent number of woodies... it will be worth it to me. The way I look at it as there is no monetary value that can be placed on time in a blind with buddies while watching God's sunrise and birds (even if just a few) dropping into decoys at first light. Appreciate the input and will keep everyone posted on progress.

WHUP ! Hen and JFG like this.
  2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Do it,you won't be happy until you do. Best of lick.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Refuge Member

Awesome! If there's food the ducks will show up...trust me! If you encounter roadblocks with the USFWS, NRCS, or DU shoot me a private message. I might be able to help you out.

4. LV2HNT

LV2HNT Refuge Member

I would also try contacting your counties soil and water office and find out who your states private wetlands biologists are. Try contacting them. On my 100 acre farm in NE Ohio I have 3 wetlands made by the government that they helped us build. Our farm used to have very very few ducks in the area and some local geese around but since adding our wetlands we now hold a good amount of birds for some decent shoots each year. We can usually get 10-15 hunts per year and in our wetlands and take around 100 birds annually. To us it was worth spending the 10k or so to build them. If you build it they will come. Also wood ducks LOVE flooded corn.

JFG likes this.