NWFL Duck Impoundment - Need Opinions /Help!!!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BULL SPRIG 88, Dec 23, 2016.

1. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

Just wanted to thank everyone for weighing in. As JFG mentioned above... it is a "labor of love" for me and having a honey hole on your own farm is worth more than MANY guided trips. You guys talked me into giving NRCS, DU, & USFWS another shot. I'm gonna go by the local USFWS office within the next week and discuss programs with them. If I strike out there... I will give the NRCS another shot, then DU. If none in my area are cooperative or interested... I will likely tackle it on my own. I'm a process guy at heart. If I'm able to pull it off and even if it only attracts a decent number of woodies... it will be worth it to me. The way I look at it as there is no monetary value that can be placed on time in a blind with buddies while watching God's sunrise and birds (even if just a few) dropping into decoys at first light. Appreciate the input and will keep everyone posted on progress.

STL11, WHUP ! Hen and JFG like this.
  2. WHUP ! Hen

WHUP ! Hen Elite Refuge Member

Do it,you won't be happy until you do. Best of lick.

3. ArmChair Biologist

ArmChair Biologist Senior Refuge Member

Awesome! If there's food the ducks will show up...trust me! If you encounter roadblocks with the USFWS, NRCS, or DU shoot me a private message. I might be able to help you out.

4. LV2HNT

LV2HNT Refuge Member

I would also try contacting your counties soil and water office and find out who your states private wetlands biologists are. Try contacting them. On my 100 acre farm in NE Ohio I have 3 wetlands made by the government that they helped us build. Our farm used to have very very few ducks in the area and some local geese around but since adding our wetlands we now hold a good amount of birds for some decent shoots each year. We can usually get 10-15 hunts per year and in our wetlands and take around 100 birds annually. To us it was worth spending the 10k or so to build them. If you build it they will come. Also wood ducks LOVE flooded corn.

JFG likes this.
  5. STL11

STL11 New Member

How did everything turn out for you?

6. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

Well... I met with USFWS on site in January '17 and had a great meeting. The biologist indicated at the meeting that he felt strongly they would be able to cost share and though he couldn't guarantee me a percentage, he thought it would be in the 30%-60% range. He asked me to write up a proposal and he would submit it with his other projects for this fiscal year. I submitted the proposal in January and he indicated that it "looked great". He told me that he wouldn't know anything for several months. I received an email from him in early July indicating that our project would not be funded. He said they are focusing on a different river basin and on "threatened/endangered species and species at risk". I was really bummed when I got the news... particularly after I was under the impression that it was going to be full steam ahead. So... for now the project is on hold and I'm scratching my head as to what to do next. Realistically... I think it will take probably $20-$30k to do it right. My wife isn't particularly fond of the idea since there is obviously no guarantee of results. I've contemplated selling my boat which would make it happen but am hesitant since there is the possibility I could build the finest "retention pond" in the Southeast and have nothing but coots (ha). Guess I'm in a holding pattern for now. Thanks for asking...

7. STL11

STL11 New Member

Have you thought about renting equipment and doing it? Just a thought i've done 2 small ones this way with a dozer and they have worked out good so far

8. JFG

JFG Elite Refuge Member

BS88, sorry it didn't work out for you this time. I would encourage you to look at some of the other programs administered by some of the Feds. Your USF&WS should be able to assist you, as well as your local NRCS agency.

Your process sounds as if it mirrored mine when I applied several years ago. Was fortunate in that the committee was interested in expanding programs in my area and all the other criteria was satisfactory. It took awhile but eventually came to fruition. Keep plugging away, it can happen.

9. Marlboroman

Marlboroman New Member

And from everything you have said, I would be shocked, if done right, you do not hold a significant amount of birds. As someone said, this is an investment. From a quality of life and from a financial return perspective. I started small 25 years ago. Only the occasional wood duck on the property. Built first impoundment which started as mostly wood ducks...fast forward to today, after continued expansion and it is simply amazing the variety of birds I hold.

Moving from duck hunting to waterfowl management has exceptional personal awards and turns the hobby into a 365 day passion.

And on the financial side, my wife constantly reminds me of the dollars put into this but I do remind her, the property is worth a lot more today/probably the best capital investment I have ever made, all based on the recreational value created. Of course, she is correct, it means nothing until I die because I would never sell!

STL11 and JFG like this.
  10. bullpinnie

bullpinnie Elite Refuge Member

for a small, 5 acre seasonally flooded Wood Duck impoundment, those costs seem way out of line. if the ground is relatively flat, You can draw up 1-2 foot levees ( similar to rice levee's) on the cheap with a tractor with a rear blade. for that size impoundment, your pipe and screw gate should be under $500. a pump to flood would be your biggest investment.

ArmChair Biologist likes this.