NWFL Duck Impoundment - Need Opinions /Help!!!

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by BULL SPRIG 88, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Timber Hole

Timber Hole Senior Refuge Member

Why does it have to be all or nothing? Why not just throw up a dike a foot or two tall in one corner and hold a little water? It doesn't take a large pool to shoot a few ducks.

bullpinnie likes this.
  2. BULL SPRIG 88

BULL SPRIG 88 New Member

We actually tried to build an impoundment elsewhere on our farm. The final size after the build was about 1/2 acre. It does have a few wood ducks from time to time, just not a consistent number of birds to have a reliable hunt. The first year, my Japanese millet got totally wiped out by army worms. Since that time (about 2-3 years ago)... I have just let it go natural (partially out of frustration and partially out of disappointment). We learned some valuable lessons from that attempt. The berms were a little too steep, we left some trees which are good for wood ducks but shaded the area for the ability to grow some crops and have didn't have a lot of "show water". The biggest challenge we face in my opinion is having enough show water and a good food source. Our farm is located not too far from a decent sized river and there are swamps everywhere. I know that wood ducks don't need a lot of show water but I am competing with thousands upon thousands of acres of water and swamps. I need at least enough to show some water and a desirable food source. I think if we can build an impoundment that is 3.5 acres in size and provide a very good food source (like corn), then I can create a spot to attract birds. Here's a pic of that impoundment before it got wiped out by army worms:

Middle.jpg
    [​IMG]