Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Area report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Lots of snows, cranes and teal moving in along with a good number of local dark geese and Mallards produced this year. Wet in this country too, only about 50% of crops in the immediate area got seeded and of those a bunch were flooded out. Of the rest, a ton of Roundup ready soybeans to try and clean up the weedy fields from the almost bust years due to moisture as the farmers could spray through it, lots of canola and flax that sucks for feed... and from the last week of phone calls and bidding wars for the few grain fields around, I would say the majority of Oak Hammock area is a write off for available fields for freelancers or even locals to hunt... The one available (not locked up ever before this season) barley field within 4 or 5 miles of the refuge on the west side (160 acres) just went for $1500 for the season and there was more than 3 bids over $1000 for it! I wish it weren't so but it is what it is this year, too wet heading into last winter and the whole summer of rain didn't help any, I am buying silhouettes to be able to get into fields at all.... and oh yeah it is raining as I type this and they are forecasting another 2 inches! I know for a fact that all of the cereal fields within the managed hunting area on the west side of the actual marsh are rented for the season as I have been talking with all the farmers this week. There are a couple of landowners on the east side that refuse to lock up land but the competition for these fields will be intense, and to the south all the cereal grain I am aware of is also now in outfitters hands. I do know there are quite a few outfitters to the North and am assuming the situation is pretty much the same there. Even some of my regular fields almost 30 miles away are drawing interest as the farmers are calling and asking for money up front or they will rent to other outfitters... This is shaping up to be a "crunch" year in the south interlake.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

600 km north of Oak Hammock is as wet as I've ever seen it . Fields are flooded and current access is walk-in only. Harvest is stalled with very little crop harvested and birds going into standing grain and flooded areas of fields. Rain steady for last 16 hours and not stopping. Opasquia river is overflowing and meadows are flooded and birds using meadows for roost.

Better bring snowshoes and silouettes if you want to get on the fields. It won't be pretty.

3. TheDude

TheDude Elite Refuge Member

sounds awesome.:mad: maybe we can just launch the mud boats into the fields :l

see you guys in a week

4. lowflyer

lowflyer Refuge Member

I'm sure you run a top notch operation, and I do appreciate your sponsorship of this forum, but I need to say the irony of an outfitter complaining about the cost of leasing fields comical. The old adage "reap as you sow" has never been more applicable.

5. Fullbored

Fullbored Elite Refuge Member

ding ding ding. Like he said i'm sure you are top notch but the irony is there

6. ky killer

ky killer Senior Refuge Member

Nothing like trying to get rid of competition. [freelancers] MONEY MONEY MONEY The death of duck hunting

7. My buddies got a similar report from their sources up there. They are heading up, but likely they are going west this year.

8. D-Man

D-Man Senior Refuge Member

The farther west you go, the worse it gets till you hit Western Sask.........

9. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

lowflyer, not much of one to get into it with anyone but I never leased a field before 4 years ago and only then once the monied US freelancers starting paying and the farmers starting expecting it.

The birds will be here and you can usually shoot em in hay fields anyway but it will be alot tougher to find a feed that isn't locked up.

10. Tony Caggiano

Tony Caggiano Senior Refuge Member

Hey Craig,
    Haven't been on here in a while, just now getting some time to relax and get back to real life.
    Looking forward to our hunt together with Greg and the guys this year.
    Hope some of those birds stick around until second week of October when we get there.

Talk soon,
    Tony