Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Area report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

There are a few more fields down, but they are still really wet. Plan on walking into the fields. Probably only 10-15% of fields are down, but entire valley was planted. Crops are bumper, if they can get them off. Just lack of fields and an inundation of guides and outfitters in the valley make it tougher. I went looking for fields last evening and got skunked. Outfitters had snagged any that were holding birds.

Talked to two groups of guys in S. Reader this am, and they have had a great trip so far, and limits for them are normal. Not a lot of bills, but lots of canvasbacks and mallards. Water levels are up in S. Reader back to normal. Rice lakes are ok, and some , like Lake 14 have some bills and redheads on them.

I needed my chest waders to cross a small gulley in a wheat field on Sunday. The water was 4' deep in some places.

2. TheDude

TheDude Elite Refuge Member

is this new? i don't remember ever running across a guide out there. i would hate to see it become like other areas where land gets leased up... being able to freelance is the main appeal and frankly, the area is small enough where 1 or 2 guides could lock up the whole deal.

3. bang you'r dead

4 or 5 guiding outfits, 2 illegal outfitters, at last count.

4. D-Man

D-Man Senior Refuge Member

Snow already???????

5. bang you'r dead

Sleet yesterday morning. Pic is from last year. Bird hunting good. Went into Freshford lake today. 200 yds of floating bog to get to the lake but at least 5000+ birds in there. Teal, mallards, scaup, cans, widgeon. At times it was hard to pick out individual birds. Lots of fun.

This is from the crack of noon hunt today. Went in about 11:30 and came out by 4. It takes about 45-50 minutes to get across the floating bog to the lake. The best way I can describe it is dragging your canoe across a sea of half-filled waterbeds while wearing chest waders. It separates the men from the boysl.[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. D-Man

Looks like Oak Hammock's survey numbers are low compared to the last couple of years, especially with geese. Kinda strange given the little fronts that have moved through; I figured it would be up......

7. Cuppedwings.ca

Cuppedwings.ca Elite Refuge Member

Yep numbers are still down... hopefully a north blow or two will bring them soon!

8. semomudhen

semomudhen Senior Refuge Member

Where can you look at the survey numbers? I am having no luck finding them. Leaving Wednesday for a week of hunting with some good friends around Stonewall area.

9. D-Man

10. bang you'r dead

We have more snow geese here than I've ever seen before. I doubt they will be leaving soon. Water, food, and low hunting pressure will keep them around for awhile. The only bad thing is, this is what the average fields look like.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Some of the farmers aren't allowing ATV's in , as they are rutting and getting stuck in the fields.