Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Area report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Sep 9, 2010.

1. TheDude

TheDude Elite Refuge Member

man were there a ton of snows! we must have found 10 fields holding 5-10k+ birds. one 60 bird day and one 30 bird day from the same field -that was actually dry enough to drive in! Hunts were 5 days apart. Those birds are pretty stupid that far north. We had them in the field 400yds away and I walked well within "ground-pounding" range of the entire flock trying to boot them out. (i don't flock swat so everyone stay cool). Once they finally got up, they flew in a circle and just landed further down...closer to the spread. Picked a few prime ross and eagle heads to get some pass shooting on.. .shoulda carried more shells!

Ducks were scattered but managed a few good hunts right before dark once we found them getting in to feed at night during the full moon.

Got to catch up with cjcocn finally after missing paths the last couple trips which was nice. Also got to meet labguy1 as we were packing out of a field.

TONS of swans around this year too, very surprised at that. You need a season on them! would love to drop one of those behemoths.

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I missed running into you. The snows are even thicker now. We had more Ross' geese last week, but more actual snow geese piling in. I figure our field from Sunday had 20,000 bird on it. I quit after 8 birds. It's no fun hunting without my dog. She injured herself running through all the mud retrieving on Friday, and she hurt herself quite badly, either a severe sprain, or more likely a torn ligament. It sucks to have this happen mid-season up here.

The fields are still wet, and the ones I was hunting are still walk in only. More rain is expected today.

The swans actually screwed up one of our hunts. We were set up on the edge of a field, and the swans (I lost count at 165) were landing in the centre, and sucked in every snow goose for the next 3 hours. I repositioned between them and the roost and got some pass shooting, but I think I will get some swan decoys next year. They are snow goose magnets.

I can't see the snow geese moving out for lack of food, water, or hunting pressure. I only heard one or two other groups out Sunday morning, and there were probably 100,000 geese within a five mile radius. The only real problem is getting the decoys out in the muck. I was using silos, but the large groups of geese figured them out already. I basically was shooting singles and doubles coming and going to the roost areas.

Chris hasn't been out too much, and was going to hunt South Reader last weekend. I'll see him in the next day or two and see how he did.

Dude, did you see lots of Specks while hunting up here? I have seen more this season than in the past 20 years combined.

Glad you had a successful trip.

W.

3. TheDude

we saw/heard a few every day. Probably 20-30. No shots but more than years past. We shot 4 of them a few years ago and were pretty surprised to see them. Noticed a lot mixed in with the snows on the ground as we were out scouting.

4. TheDude

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

lotsa snows around!

5. bang you'r dead

Were you staying with Maurice S.? Looks familiar. Did you get a chance to get into Big Lake, or did the floating bog scare you off.....

Gotta love the snow geese....

My season just got really bad. Got the news my dog tore her ACL in all that mud and her season is over. I can't even express how sad I am right now. I don't even know if I'll go hunting any more this season. This sucks.

6. TheDude

yeah we stay there, just too convenient when compared to the alternatives. we didn't go to big lake, but looked like a few guys got in. heard some shooting and saw 2 guys we met a few years ago leavin there about 1pm, so we figured they got in. Water looked more than ample when we checked out the ditch.

Sorry to hear about your dog. That mud and standing crop is no where to be without a dog. I hope she recovers quickly.

7. prairie hunter

prairie hunter Elite Refuge Member

Yep it just ain't the same is it. I have had dogs hurt during hunting season and it just takes the wind out of the decoys.

My one dog that had an ACL tear healed well and you never noticed a difference in her gate. Healing did take time. Good Luck.

8. bang you'r dead

Vet says 6 months rehab after surgery. We had two options, a band thing or surgical reattachment to bone. Opted for latter, as she is an athlete and the band thing is for house dog types. I think we'll be taking the kayaks and canoes into Freshford. No one is hunting it and it is full of birds. You just have to get over the floating bog and you are in.

9. UKlabman

UKlabman Elite Refuge Member

The only advantage I have in hunting at home is generally having birds with good color for ID purposes. Sure hate to see all those hens in the bag...

10. D-Man

D-Man Senior Refuge Member

Wow, you can tell juvie drakes from hens in those pics? You have some great vision to be able to clearly distinguish.......