Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Area report

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Cuppedwings.ca, Sep 9, 2010.

1. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I shoot a lot of brown birds , right up until November. Some do colour out early, and are easy to pick out. This pick is from first week of Sept.

[​IMG]

I don't think the boys on the youth shoot worried too much about hens or drakes this day :tu

A week later and someof thedrakes are starting to turn

[​IMG]

These birds were taken October 15th
    [​IMG]

This is a pic from October 25th, and you can see the difference in the coloration by this time.

[​IMG]

November 4th and still eclipse drakes

[​IMG]

Some days we can tell colour, others we can't. Early in the season, I tend to shoot the "big" birds when they come in, and about 65% of the time, they are drakes. I don't sweat it though, and I only shoot drakes when I have lots of time and the birds are plentiful. Otherwise, its first come, first serve.

2. bang you'r dead

Enjoy....

[​IMG]

Most recent theories see the mallard population in a compensatory phase, and harvesting hens has no effect on the population.

Canada has never had a hen restriction, and I don't know a single hunter up here who hunts "drakes" only.

Sorry if I've offended you. You still may want to come up here early season and have a little fun. There aren't many places you can go and potentially have a 30+ bird day. I came close with 29 last week (18 snow and ross geese, 4 Canada geese and 7 mallards and pintails). Don't fret the hens.

3. UKlabman

UKlabman Elite Refuge Member

Goes against all conservation ethics. Why send $ to DU and Delta when duck hunters don't even care??

4. bang you'r dead

I do care. That is why I have been on DU committees for 20 years. I am active here and we have over 700,000 acres in wetlands , managed right here. Again, learn about compensatory vs additive mortality, and go to the AHM website and learn about hen mortality.

Spouting rhetoric doesn't help anyone.

5. UKlabman

UKlabman Elite Refuge Member

Just a moment of frustration. The US has had a huge push for "drakes only" for years. Just like deer hunting which used to be bucks only. You have an awesome resource, hope the ALUS program Delta is pushing makes it even better..I hunted near Brandon in '08 and Alberta in '09, taking a year off but hope to be back in 2011.

6. bang you'r dead

I support Delta as well. I truly believe that habitat is the key , over and above anything else. Just get out and enjoy it!

7. TheDude

TheDude Elite Refuge Member

you have to consider that the birds bang is shooting are locals in a very small area that grows a whole LOT of ducks and sees very little hunting pressure due to the remoteness of the breeding areas (many of which are not accessible by anything other than an air boat or float plane). More of that population are killed by coyotes, coons, and other varmints than by hunters. Also consider that in this area, the freeze up can be in early OCT. Its a short season and the birds are all very brown as bang has illustrated. You would have to have almost perfect sun and close working birds to even begin to tell drakes from hens on most days. Certainly not impossible, but challenging non-the less

In the grand scheme of things, letting hens go is a good thing. Its a broad brush to paint with however given the vast differences in hunting situations found from the extreme north to extreme south ends of the flyways (3000-4000 miles worth).

I do my best to pass on the hens at home. If its a slow day and 1 bird comes in and it's a hen, well... that's too bad for her that the DNR and Feds have allowed us to shoot one.

8. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

I would have to agree with bang you'r dead, until it gets to the end of the season it's pretty hard to tell the difference between drakes and hens. I do try and pick the drakes when possible. Also the number of ducks shot in Canada is a mere shadow of what is harvested in the US.