Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Marsh migration waterfowl count 2017

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Chris Benson, Sep 25, 2017.

1. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Well we had our first waterfowl migration count at Oak Hammock this past week. If you are hunting around Oak Hammock or just want to know when the general peak of the migration hits southern Manitoba. This should give you a good idea.

The count will be updated every Thursday until the end of October or so. If the weather is horrible or a heavy fog sets in the morning of the count it may be called off.

Also it's volunteer dependent, so if you are interested in helping out with the count. PM me and I can put you in touch with the people who are organizing the counts.

Also, if you are hunting around Oak Hammock the Oak Hammock cafe is open at 8:30am. The Interpretive Centre doesn't open until 10:00am, but if you are looking for a hot breakfast and a cup of coffee we got you covered! Oak Hammock Marsh is also Ducks Unlimited Canada's national headquarters. So be sure to stop by for a visit!

http://www.oakhammockmarsh.ca/assets...98-to-2017.pdf

Thanks and good luck hunting!!!

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Don't forget to go up to the Oak Hammock in the evening to watch the birds come back to the cells at dark. It is a sight to see.

3. baker aka goosenut

baker aka goosenut Elite Refuge Member

Bang it sure looks like the numbers of all species are dropping drastically according to the counts. Any insight on why

4. baker aka goosenut

Sorry that post was for mr. benson

5. Chris Benson

Well, there has been one count, so based on that you can't really say the numbers are dropping. Waterfowl don't look at the calendar and decide it's time to fly to Oak Hammock, there are so many variables when it comes to migration, every year is different.

6. baker aka goosenut

Chris i understand that.
    I was looking at the year to year counts and its a steady decrease of
    Geese, and ducks every year

7. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

A couple of years there is an "unknown" variable that was counted. What was going on there?

8. Chris Benson

Sorry misunderstood what you meant, I really can't say why the numbers are these last few years are lower. Could be any number of reasons, I know the city of Winnipeg attracts a ton of geese, more now that there are sub-divisions with retention ponds. Earlier harvests and crops get turned quicker, warmer falls which delay migration, less grain fields be planted, Could be any number of reasons

9. Chris Benson

Not really sure, could have been a person who count birds leaving the marsh but couldn't ID what they were. Canada Goose v.s. Snow Goose.

Each person is given a quadrant to count birds from, normally they are counting a mile or two on either side of them with binoculars. If we don't have enough people, the volunteers are spread a little thin and it could be that it's just too far to get a positive ID. Or it might have been a little foggy or overcast making positive IDs not possible.

10. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

Only 18 more years til I retire and would love to see that spectacle. Thanks for the reply back on the "unknown"