Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

Oak Hammock Marsh migration waterfowl count 2017

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Chris Benson, Sep 25, 2017.

1. browninga5m

browninga5m Refuge Member

How far is Oak Hammock from Winnipeg? We go through there every year headed up to The Pas, would be cool to stop and see what its like

2. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

I'll bite on the bird numbers. You have to look at the history of the area to understand what is happening. Oak Hammock Marsh came into being in the 1970's. Prior to that , it was a bog that stretched from Stonewall to Teulon, and was mainly reclaimed for farm and hay land. The government bought back the land and with DU, developed the control structures that are now the cells and structures within the Oak Hammock Marsh. In the '70s, the geese staged further north in the areas around Lundar, but with the better water and crop areas, eventually moved the staging area from Lundar to Oak Hammock Marsh. The marsh has remained pretty constant for the last 25 years, but in the last 10, the city of Winnipeg has gone through huge building developments within the city, most of which have green spaces, parks, and small lakes and ponds. These are ideal for geese. They have food, water, and little or no hunting pressure or predation. The city is now becoming the staging area for the geese, and at any given time, may hold just as many or more than Oak Hammock does. The growth within the city is incredible. For a more in depth perspective, here is an article from 2009 about the geese within the city. https://www.manitobacooperator.ca/2...-from-near-extinction-to-pest-for-sep-9-2010/.

Birds move, migrations shift. I live 6 hours north of Winnipeg, and we have had 1 evening where we had frost, and other than that, no reason for birds to leave the north yet. Low hunter pressure, plenty of food and open water means delayed migrations (again).

3. duck central

duck central Senior Refuge Member

Very true bang. Migrations do shift and sometimes a huge distance. I used to hunt the Dauphin area every year ( 15 years ) for snows but now the area gets very few in my opinion. Been going to Sask. now for about 10 years and have seen migrations change there also.

4. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Oak Hammock is about 20 minutes North of Winnipeg, just down the road from Stonewall. If you stop by be sure to take in the evening goose flights. We have am observation deck on top of the building and watching the geese come in at last light is really something to see!

5. RAININDUCKS

RAININDUCKS Refuge Member

Our group from Illinois just got home from our trip to the Hammock area. Hunting was good as always. Did well on geese not so good on the ducks. Arrived the day after an inch or two of rain. Made for some tough hunting conditions. Couldn't get to some of our usual spots because of road conditions. Had to do mostly walk inns. Getting to old for that. The mud around there is nothing like I've ever seen. Sticks to you like I don't know what. Must have lots of clay in it. Didn't see a huge amount of birds but just enough to make it all worth it. The people of Canada were great as usual. Later.

6. bang you'r dead

bang you'r dead Canada Forum Mod. Eh! Moderator Flyway Manager

Nothing like Manitoba Gumbo. Twenty pounds of clay and mud on each boot makes the trek in and out pretty exhausting. Saw two guys about 10 years ago use cross country skis to get into the wet field and they glided in like it was on snow. Gotta think out of the box I guess. I've heard of guys using snowshoes to go over floating bog, but I'm too scared to try that myself.

7. semomudhen

semomudhen Senior Refuge Member

I'd put Southeast Missouri gumbo up against the Manitoba gumbo. Nasty stuff in both places. Hey Chris, do you happen to know Terry McKay up there in Stonewall?