Oaks from Acorns

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by StrmChzr, Oct 18, 2015.

1. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

Clayton - if want some swamp milkweed seed (Asclepias incarnata), brother, I got a few billion to "loan out"... Seems our acorn crops were bust too! I couldn't have picked a bushel of acorns if I wanted to from all my oaks combined this fall. I found some willow oaks in KC that were used for landscaping and, man, I clocked an hour or so just to get handful of sinkers...I'll say that pin and black oaks are the exception to this year's dramatic swing from last season's mast boom to this falls bust..

We experienced a bit of a natural disaster this week. Good buddy and I were bowhunting the rut Mon-Tues and during a lunch break I took this pic of a direct seeded pin oak while showing him the prop...
    [​IMG]

One day later, the perfect (fire)storm hit when +30mph sustained winds, 2 months of essentially zero precipitation, and a 5 day old bonfire started a grass fire that covered 3 sections. Thankfully, no structures were damaged but fire smoked some MDC bareroots and bunch of my trees started in pioneer pots in our native prairie stand I was restoring to oak savanna. Fire also reached another 4 acre native prairie oak savanna site of mine that I'd direct seeded acorns last March.

Mother Nature can be a fickle fickle gal.....

Pic taken by my folks as they were forced to evacuate their casa:
    [​IMG]

My 3 way hybrid oaks, called Concordias (SWO, Chinkapin, and Dwarf Chinkapin), I purchased from MDC as bareroots 1.5 years ago...
    They looked like this last spring:
    [​IMG]

Tree cages are 4' tall to give you perspective:

[​IMG]

This is all that was left Wed night when I arrived to farm..
    [​IMG]

2. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

I have collected plenty of swamp and common milkweed seed.

Oh man that really sucks!!!!! Hopefully they will resprout from the roots.

3. StrmChzr

Yeppers, kinda like Forrest Gump said "it happens"... Hoping most (or at least some) coppice as I believe majority were dormant despite our Indian summer replacing autumn this year...

Either way, I'm not all that tore up over it. Had it been my own controlled burn that got away from me, than I'd be really peeved...I chalk it up as cost of doing biz living on eastern fringe of Great Plains. Not a single one of us can control "acts of God", sometimes we just think we can...

Besides, I'm nuckin futz enough to have more container oaks needing a permanent home than some nurseries..... I don't even have to recruit my first helper, she volunteered her services this afternoon... Her daddy named her Savanna for good reason!!!
    [​IMG]

4. StrmChzr

To hijack my own thread and get wayyy off topic, anybody wanting swamp and common milkweed, can PM me and I'll send them out an envelope w/ some seed. I got this weird "save the Monarchs" vibe going past 12 months and common and swamp milkweed are abundant in my area and prolific seed producers... Also collected quite a few butterfly (Asclepias tuberosa), spider (A.asperula) and prairie milkweed (A. Sullivanti) this season that I'm going to interseed in the scorched earth this winter..

5. Clayton

Sadly milkweed is hard to find around here so we are playing Johnny milkweed seed. Actually have found very poor success just spreading seed around. Started raising and replanting. We even tagged monarchs for several years. numbers have dropped so much we haven't bothered for a while now.

6. cougfan316

cougfan316 Senior Refuge Member

Real interesting read. We don't hunt flooded timber up here. For squirrels look at the high power air rifles. I've got one and use it to take care of them in the folks and neighbors walnut trees. Much quieter than a .22 or .410 and pretty accurate with the right pellet and a scope.

7. StrmChzr

Smoke 'em if you got 'em... I'm pretty sure it was "the man on the grassy knoll!"

[​IMG]

8. cougfan316

cougfan316 Senior Refuge Member

image.jpeg That was at 35-40 yards.

9. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Go flint or go home.
    [​IMG]

10. Clayton

Beautiful gun. Do you duck hunt with one also??????????