Oaks from Acorns

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by StrmChzr, Oct 18, 2015.

1. rcatron

rcatron New Member

Smash, awesome gun. 32 cal?

2. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Yes on .32, no on duck hunitng with one. That one is just a squirrel gun.

3. duckhuntinfool

duckhuntinfool Senior Refuge Member

I agree that is a beautiful rifle. Did you build or buy.?

4. smashdn

Dad built it for me.

Re: Pecans
    Any reason to think that the air pruning pots would not work for pecan trees? We have run across a northern variety grove of trees in Indiana that is producing huge pecans. The plan is to start some trees and pull Johnny Pecanseed with them in a couple of places.

5. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

You had to bring up pee-cans... I'd really rather discuss trees that I don't totally suck at growing!!!
    Seriously, when I was a young teen my grandfather passed and had little styrofoam cups w/ pecans started in his shed that dad and I transplanted to our yard and then had hydraulically spaded and relocated to our property a few years later. Fast forward ~25 years and those same pecan trees have grown slower than molasses.... I just stuck my head out the door and our "biggin'" pecan tree isn't a total slouch, the trunk base is prob 12" diameter, maybe 24' tall and it drops a few nuts in recent years.

That being said, I wouldn't take my advice w/ those results in a million years...

Here's some info that should help though:

http://rootmaker.com/sites/default/files/pdf/PecanPaperBigTitlePress.pdf

http://pods.dasnr.okstate.edu/docushare/dsweb/Get/Document-1012/F-6207web.pdf

http://northernpecans.blogspot.com/2013/06/growing-pecan-seedlings-in-containers.html

6. smashdn

Good info. Thank you. Dad had planned some in regular flower post that he then just placed in his garden. I had to dig damn near to China when it was time to get them out and till up his garden.

7. StrmChzr

Been there done that...suckers can set some roots, huh! Until you live it, hard to believe a 9" oak or pecan seedling has +24" of roots attached, but they do unless you root prune. Most effective way to root prune is good ole fashion air and instead of all your seedlings energy being dedicated to sending a deep taproot that first year or two, you will see top growth that wouldn't be possible unless seedling is forced to survive on its ability to photosynthesize (i.e. generate more green foliage)... At least it sounds good and is somewhat believable.....

Proof in the puddin':
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a starter tray for persimmons prior to "plucking out" germinated seeds for repotting in Pioneer Pots. I "made" it out of inverted plastic shelf....
    [​IMG]This is bottom side of persimmon starter trays.... If you look closely, you'll see new white root tips emerging from potting mix and those black stringy looking things are root tips after being air pruned. Not pretty, but forces roots to branch out and develop more fibrous root system instead of single deep taproot.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 28, 2015
  8. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

The only oaks I have found producing good were the Shumard oaks in the GTR where I got the trail cam pics last year. They had a bumper crop. The GTR is on high ground with no real runoff to it. Traditionally it doesn't flood good until February and some years not at all. Now with the rain we are getting now and expecting over the next couple of days it may flood early this year. I already have my photo blind set up in hopes of getting some better quality pictures than what the trail camera is capable of getting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. StrmChzr

You know I dig it, Clayton! Hey, if I post up some pics of what I think are Shumard oak seedlings I found at creek crossing few weeks back, could you possibly confirm species? I'm 90% sure they are Shumardi but we are on the northern tip of their range and be nice to have another opinion.

10. Clayton

Clayton Elite Refuge Member

I am far from a tree ID expert. The acorn size/shape was the key for me. There is a carpet of last years seedlings below some of the Shumard trees. I will try to get you some pictures tomorrow.