Oaks from Acorns

Discussion in 'Habitat Forum' started by StrmChzr, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Clayton

Clayton Moderator Moderator

Here is the bark and leaf from the Shumard oak.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Clayton

Here is the acorn and some seedlings.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. KAHunter

KAHunter Senior Refuge Member

Thanks for the help on collecting the acorns. didnt get many as I have been super busy but gonna set up next year to catch a bunch. Thinking of setting some weed mat up under some trees when they start droping to catch them next year. we will see.

4. StrmChzr

StrmChzr Senior Refuge Member

Might have already mentioned this, but you might consider using a chicken wire covered tub or other means of "theft" protection when collecting acorns... I think a large diameter Rubbermaid tub w/ chicken wire covering top such that it sags to the middle of tub would be best. I wouldn't have chicken wire pulled too taut b/c might create a "trampoline effect" w/ acorns falling from higher branches. If chicken wire is sagging to the middle, it may also assist acorns falling through chicken wire while they roll towards the middle. I'd snip 1 or 2 meshes in the middle of cover to facilitate collection while preventing fuzzy nuts from helping himself to a free meal!

rcatron likes this.
  5. Clayton

[​IMG]

6. smashdn

smashdn Elite Refuge Member

Dad and I were camping during turkey season in LBL many years ago. All of our dry food and kitchen type supplies were stored in rubbermaid containers.

In this one particular container we had a loaf of bread and Doritos. Fuzzy nuts chewed his way into the lid and ate half a bag of bread and most of the doritos while we were out that morning after turkeys.

Moral of the story, eat the squirrels before they eat your food. And a rubbermaid container ain't going to keep a squirrel out if he wants in bad enough. Maybe a metal washtub would be the ticket?

7. rcatron

rcatron New Member

Reviving a oldie...any updates on this project? Not sure how to tag StrmChzr to get his attention

8. Fowler267

Fowler267 Elite Refuge Member

Wonder how just hand planting the acorns would do?