Obeying the law

Discussion in 'Christian Forum' started by Davy Hunt, Jan 30, 2006.

1. Davy Hunt

Davy Hunt Elite Refuge Member

After reading the proposition that tithing is Jewish law and no longer commanded of us, I was wondering what else?

Isn't homosexuality prohibited by Jewish law? Capital punishment?

2. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

Capital punishment predates the law and was instituted by God from the beginning, thus no law argument here. It is further emphasized in the NT as a duty of the civil goverment to "punish evil doers."

Homosexuality as a sin also predates the law as it violates the created order, thus no law argument here either. The one point of discussion would be in terms of punishment. Under the law, the guilty were to be executed. However, today we are under grace and we do not have authority to execute homosexuals. Rather, we are to preach the gospel to them and lead them to Christ.

3. silvermallard

silvermallard Elite Refuge Member

As I said, a lot of good principles that will help you have a better life here on Earth can be derived from the law of Moses, but very little is actually "required" of Christians by scripture. The NT deals with homsexuality and makes it clear that it is a sin...just like lying, cheating, stealing, or failing to help those in need. Capital punishment was endorsed by OT law, and the NT really only says two things which bear directly on the subject of gov't:

1. God gave the sword to the governor for a reason.

2. We are to "render unto Caesar that which is Caesar's..." We are to be obedient and peaceful toward society/gov't insofar as it does not directly require us to sin against God.

Aside from these two Biblical principles, the NT doesn't have much to say about the morality of capital punishment. Again, I think it is wise to look to the OT as a guide on such matters. But OT law is no authority for the Christian.

4. Davy Hunt

Davy Hunt Elite Refuge Member

The tithe is something of a tradition that many Christians assume is commanded of them. What else is instituted under the law that we no longer are subject to that we folow as tradition?

Surely there is more than just the tithe?

(I confess, I am too lazy to read Leviticus right now).

5. silvermallard

Didn't you just argue against the whole "predates the law" concept on the other thread? :confused:

6. silvermallard

Treating church buildings as "holy" places, referring to a pulpit as an "altar," the observance of religious holidays, etc. Oh, and let us not forget the concept of the priesthood!

7. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

Right on! :tu

8. TPM

TPM Elite Refuge Member

IMBO, the tithe was not instituted before the law. Yes, we see a picture of the tithe in Abraham and Melchisedek, but there was no requirement from God for a general tithe until the law of Moses was given.

The 10% tithe was for Israel and the Levitical priesthood. It is not for the church.

By contrast, capital punishment is a civil matter and is a general institution for man, as was marriage. While the tithe was for God's people Israel, CP was for mankind in general.

9. Duck30 Fly-By

Duck30 Fly-By Senior Refuge Member

Perryville, AR:Proud member of the Fourche River O
    Holy Shlamolee...

10. onionhead

onionhead Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

For this cause God gave them up unto vile affections: for even their women did change the natural use into that which is against nature: And likewise also the men, leaving the natural use of the woman, burned in their lust one toward another; men with men working that which is unseemly, and receiving in themselves that recompence of their error which was meet. And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient; ........ Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them. Romans 1 ...... Capitol punishment is still the penalty, Capitol with a Capital "C"

..... "sin is not imputed when there is no law." So to say punishment predates law is not scriptural - "sin is not imputed where there is no law" and if not imputed there is no basis for punishment. Is God unjust that he would condemn those to which sin is not imputed - we better hope not because that's the case with all who believe - absolutely guilty of sin, but the sin is not imputed, because of our Saviour ...... "Even as David also describeth the blessedness of the man, unto whom God imputeth righteousness without works, Saying, Blessed are they whose iniquities are forgiven, and whose sins are covered. Blessed is the man to whom the Lord will not impute sin."

God's law was in/of full effect in Eden, for Adam the father of us all sinned (how about that for a news flash). Without God's law Adam's sin would not have been imptuted to him or us. God's law has forever been in effect - Jesus Christ called the Jewish law "the law of Moses" a completely different issue than God's law of which He spoke thus: "For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled." Matthew 5

Two distinct laws.

Hmmmmmm ..... Whosoever will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me...... Jesus said unto him, If thou wilt be perfect, go and sell that thou hast, and give to the poor, and thou shalt have treasure in heaven: and come and follow me......Then said Jesus unto his disciples, If any man will come after me, let him deny himself, and take up his cross, and follow me..... And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me...... I understand your meaning, and agree, but this is a very thin line.

"Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body". 1 Corinthians..... IMO there is something particularly wrong with sexual sin because the scripture seperates it from "Every sin that a man doeth is without the body but" sexual sin.

What Jesus Christ called the law of Moses and the Law about which He said .... "Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from" it are two entirely different issues - one will last as long as heaven and earth the other was nailed to the Cross - blotted out as Paul under inspration wrote ... "Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way, nailing it to his cross." One is gone, the other will last forever, or at least as long as heaven and earth - according to Scripture