Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Observations 1/6

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Grey Goose, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

It's been very quiet on here so I assume that everyone is either keeping a good thing to themselves or have nothing to brag about. I am not seeing much around the middle Potomac River area but I've been doing pretty well. Turns out, 1 of my blind sites is on the X. Good thing too because I am seeing very few ducks anywhere else on the river, and I scout a lot. Mainly shooting Gadwalls. As a matter of fact, Gadwalls are pretty much the only duck I've been seeing. Unfortunately, it appears that the majority of those ducks moved out yesterday so I hope something else shows up to take their place. Happy hunting everybody.

2. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

There are thousands of divers on the upper bay. Nothing but buffs will come close to shore. Been watching them well beyond my decoys for 2 weeks now. They raft, trade, and stay at least 300 off shore. Having the same problem up in Jersey.

Thought today was going to be the ice breaker.... No dice save 2 goldeneyes that did it well. Bills and Cans continue stay WIDE.... REALLY WIDE.

3. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

Just spent four days in Dorchester trying to chase ducks.
    Fishing Bay has a bazillion buffleheads and nothing else.
    Saw the least amount of puddle ducks in our stomping grounds in 10 years of going down there.
    I did see a massive super cloud of divers, presumably redheads, far offshore of lower hoopers.
    The 1-3 inches for today turned into a 12inch blizzard, which made cleaning up a total nightmare.

4. Sikaducker

Sikaducker New Member

I hunt out of Toddville and not seen many puddlers. Had a fair number of Gaddies earlier but they've disappeared. The resident Black ducks aren't leaving safe zones.

5. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

As of yesterday there was a ton of freshwater still open. Most of the ponds outside Chestertown still had open water all over.

6. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

While I'm stuck at work I hope everyone out hunting has motor problems and your long lines get tangled.

The Other David and Mr_Mallard like this.
  7. MDbowman

MDbowman Elite Refuge Member

Had the same problem with the divers Saturday!

First long line came out real nice, then realized my bag with the weights was still in my shed! Doh!!!

8. chad

chad Elite Refuge Member

My weights never come off. Easy in..easy out.

9. shoot-straight

shoot-straight Senior Refuge Member

Back in my diver hunting days, I had 6 big trash cans that held my lines. I found they worked much better than bags.

rise&grind01 and Mr_Mallard like this.
  10. Marshbum

Marshbum Elite Refuge Member

Iced out for our quickie hunt this AM. Broke a hole and watched for a half hour. Saw two dux and a bunch of gulls.