Chesapeake Flyway Forum Sponsors

Observations 12/26

Discussion in 'Chesapeake Flyway Forum' started by Grey Goose, Dec 26, 2016.

1. Grey Goose

Grey Goose Senior Refuge Member

Hunting on the river (Potomac) has been slow but not as slow as last year. Most of the ducks we are seeing are Gadwall with a few Widgeons mixed in. No mallards or black ducks which is really strange. What birds we are seeing are stale and they are hard to decoy. Windless, 55 degree weather isn't helping things either. The divers are late this year too. Normally they show up in force around Christmas but I did not see a single diver today. I'll try them again on Wednesday. Good luck everyone.

TDB duckin likes this.
  2. slacktide

slacktide Elite Refuge Member

at work or behind the wheel driving to work...
    Today while driving over the Bay bridge, there was rafts and rafts of divers... it has been years since I have seen that many divers there... Now that doesn't mean they were flying... I was hunting a tidal creek literally four miles from there and saw zero ducks...

3. Mr_Mallard

Mr_Mallard Senior Refuge Member

Funny you say that i hunted the upper Chesapeake today and seen nothing but mallards and black ducks with a few bufflehead and blackhead here and there. Usaully there are nothing but divers around at this time but the mallards are in full force i seen close to 100 150 today maybe more.

4. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

The mallards came through early last week and some people were fortunate to get on them (various spots on the shore and the Potomac).

They have since left or spread out to the woods, ponds, creeks, places of refuge etc.

No wind = no ducks.

5. Bwana1

Bwana1 Elite Refuge Member

I saw them also, on both sides of the bridge. I ones that I could identify were scoters.

woodsie likes this.
  6. bombman

bombman Senior Refuge Member

I agree with Bwana1. The divers I saw yesterday close to the BB on the Eastern Shore side were mostly scoters. There were a few bunches of Blackheads too.

Doug

Bwana1 likes this.
  7. Smackdown 870

Smackdown 870 Elite Refuge Member

Oh they are still around. With the ponds and lakes open they will be back to the rivers later next week.

8. oysterfarmer

oysterfarmer New Member

Buffleheads are getting thicker on our oyster lease but no Blackeads or cans yet . 20160304_165559.jpg