Ocean hunting and dogs.

Discussion in 'Diver Hunters Forum' started by Scout_mn, Dec 15, 2016.

1. Scout_mn

Scout_mn Senior Refuge Member

Ok ill start with im from MN and never hunted a ocean. Do you ocean hunters use dogs? Don't you worry of sharks? Is there extra stuff you have to do for your dogs to keep them safe?

2. Montauker

Montauker Elite Refuge Member

I do not believe that there is a known recorded incident of a shark taking out a dog while on a duck hunt. I believe some of the guys around Cape Cod have started to ask the question as the great white population there has exploded with the seal pop. and the sharks are there well into hunting season. The biggest issue with big water hunting like that is the current can be very swift for a dog.

3. seaduckhunt

seaduckhunt Elite Refuge Member Sponsor

I always thought sharks preferred warmer water so by the time the sea duck season rolled around , all was good. Well, apparently, they like seals better than warm water, and we have them by the hundreds now. So, I have had a couple of great whites swimming near my decoys, one was a small female, about 16 feet long and 3000 lbs :eek:

Needless to say, Bodacious has earned a comfortable retirement, and his son Wyatt, is not used after the near death experience (another long story that I care not to relive).

I miss them dearly on the hunts with me, but no more big water hunting for them...

Scout_mn likes this.
  4. jzee

jzee Elite Refuge Member

I always say when we are scuba diving, that anything in the ocean, that doesn't live in the ocean, and weigh a ton, is basically a lure.

Pit Boss has a Shark story.

seaduckhunt likes this.