Oct 1st so reservations are out

Discussion in 'Missouri Flyway Forum' started by DuCrazy, Oct 1, 2017.

1. DroppnDrakes

DroppnDrakes Senior Refuge Member

Thanks Mack. My group of 3 got nov 9th, 20th, and 30th. Lucky I guess. We will go if the weather is good. I don't have a removable motor but I have a nice duck boat with 25hp. Is it worth taking the boat? It's good in the trees or just to get to the spot. Not sure what their ramps are like though since they have boats already out and let you bring a motor

2. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

If you are going to hunt the water blinds you will need a motor. Some of the blinds are 1/2+ mile from launching area. The boats are launched right in front of the old headquarters or at designated areas in the pools... just back up and launch. Wade and shoot is primarily in flooded crops a few areas have trees that you can hide under. Be sure and check on the HP limits for motors. Good luck

3. D Stuart

D Stuart Refuge Member

Skunked again this year. Weekends are always a tough draw at the Grove.

wakenda likes this.
  4. Mack Molloy

Mack Molloy Elite Refuge Member

I was a freshman in high school and a buddy of mine got a reservation for Swan Lake, I think it was on Opening Day. Back in the day, opening day must have been during the week because my mother told me I could not skip school to go hunting with him. My older sister came to my aid and told my mom that my nephew was going and she finally let me go.

Am I correct in thinking that Opening Day used to be in the middle of the week?

5. DEADEYE

DEADEYE Elite Refuge Member

And A long time ago for a few years it started at noon.

6. hannibal

hannibal Senior Refuge Member

https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/sites/default/files/downloads/2015_Waterfowl_Workshops_0.pdf

Page 13-14 have the Season Dates if you really want to figure out the opening days. I did a little spot check of some of the 60's seasons dates and it appears there were several openers on Friday and then it moved to a November 1 opener (regardless of days) and that of course varied in terms of day of week when it opened. It certainly appears it was less aligned to Saturday for sure and until the 70's it was a Statewide Season. Season length in terms of days may have played a part in some of that but since I did not arrive until 1967 can't answer those questions.

Maybe a few of the "Senior" members of the forum can shed some light :) It is, however, interesting that they have me labeled as a "Senior Refuge Member". HA

It is interesting to see the varying dates and season frameworks etc.

7. N3ckBe@rdSkyBust3r

N3ckBe@rdSkyBust3r Senior Refuge Member

Scored! Hope I can make the date!

8. rlsiv

rlsiv Elite Refuge Member

After several years of getting shut out, we went 3 for 3 this year!

9. Mo_G_Dux

Mo_G_Dux New Member

:tu Rivers opening day!! In passed years this wouldn't be a good time for that far south, but with the passed couple cold fronts I bet there is a couple limits down there!!