Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

October Sask Reports?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Rudd, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

Surely there are some on here that have been in Sask this year already, or are hunting up there now... We leave on Friday and will be hunting (freelance) for a week. Anyone have a report to share?

2. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

My buddy shot (an hour south of Saskatoon) earlier this week. He is due to stop by my house later today on his way home. They shot okay over 5 days with an outfitter. Nothing epic, though. I don't have the details yet. I'll get those around the fire and over a fine scotch tonight. I'll post what I learn tomorrow.

Rudd likes this.
  3. GooseChaser1

GooseChaser1 Senior Refuge Member

Good Morning Rudd,

Save a few for me, we will be in Saskatchewan on the 21st for 10 days for my second trip. Hunted the last week of September around Imperial, warm and dry conditions with most of the small pot holes dry and the larger body of water low. Snows were coming in every day with lots of cranes in the area along with Dark Geese. Ducks were starting to get their green heads on. Good Luck and have fun and be safe.

Dennis S.
    Rio Rancho, NM

Rudd likes this.
  4. kchusker

kchusker Refuge Member

I freelanced solo, first time to Saskatchewan Oct 1-4 around the Spalding and Naicam DU areas. Limited out two days I actually hunted, over water. Pintails day 1, mallards and 1 ringneck day 2.
    Silt was a problem to wade after birds downed in water. Careful shot selection to drop birds on land was necessary. Did not anticipate this-would have brought a fishing pole and big hook to retrieve like we use on ice if I had known (no dog). Nice hunting a marsh for 2 days all by myself. Welcome change from public hunting in Kansas. Saw at least a million snow geese (sky carp). Watched an outfitter group drop them by the dozens-great show. Ducks on virtually every body of water. Great bucket list trip for this 70 year old waterfowler.

Rudd likes this.
  5. in2b8er

in2b8er Refuge Member

Be sure to update us daily with your trip Rudd. Heading to Devils Lake Oct 25.... can't flipping wait

Rudd likes this.
  6. Rudd

Rudd Refuge Member

I will try to send updates!

7. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

The only sky carp are the city park big Canadas. Adult big Canadas are downright dumb compared to adult snows.Adult Canadas have to learn about decoys every year. Adult snows don't forget. :yes

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    KID CREOLE and h2ofwlr like this.
  8. WaterFoulHunter

WaterFoulHunter Refuge Member

Correction: My body was hunting around Archerwill, SK. His hunt ran from Oct 3-10th. He was one of 7 in his hunting party, and while they saw birds daily, he wasn't impressed by the numbers of birds they saw. Over five days of hunting they limited on ducks only once- and even that required a morning and and afternoon to accomplish. It could have been the outfitter/guide he went with, but he said they just didn't see that many birds. File all of this under FWIW.

9. TaketheDrake

TaketheDrake Senior Refuge Member

4 of us heading back now. We were west of there freelancing for last 5 days. Snows seemed to thin out last couple of days but honkers started showing up in steady #s. Ducks were steady and shot limits of pintail and mallards pretty much every day. Even pulled a 3 man limit (plus 4 honkers) out of a straw field:cool:

pd10c likes this.
  10. KID CREOLE

KID CREOLE Elite Refuge Member

First day 84 for our group. Seems to be an excellent hatch of snows percentage wise and Roscoes are thick