Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

October Sask Reports?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Rudd, Oct 11, 2017.

1. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

How is this rogue outfitting?

2. saugeye43

saugeye43 New Member

Numbers of hunters with zone restrictions. Limit the number of days non Canadian hunters can hunt. Enforcement of these guys that spend a month or more in the provinces with their “guests” showing upfor3 days then going home. I’m not telling the Canadian hunters what to do. Just giving ideas on what may work.
    Myself, I would love to hunt with relatives in SK. I also wouldn’t mind waiting to be drawn for a license.

3. CNWD

CNWD Senior Refuge Member

26 hunters through his yard in 4 weeks and you are asking how is this rogue outfitting. It doesn't warrant anymore typing than this..

4. WARTHOG

WARTHOG Senior Refuge Member

Canadian outfitters in Saskatchewan have assigned zones that they have the hunting rights in. These zone rights are purchased and totally controlled by the Province. Just not right for U.S. outfitters to go set up shop in Canada for a season with no zone limits or the proper license. I have been to Saskatchewan for 14 consecutive years for a one week hunting vacation. I think in retirement I might spend a week in September and then another week in late October if the weather is still holding, but two weeks should be maximum for non-resident hunters in my opinion.

5. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

I know there is a outfitter from Minnesota who is guiding up in Canada all October. How do they get away with this?

6. recker999

I have been going to South Dakota for 25 years and the model works great. I just got back from a week and saw a total of three other hunters. I have only not been drawn three times and two of those time I went to ND. I did well because I picked an area nobody ever talked about or mentioned on the internet. However, the last time I went was in 2009 so I am sure even that area now probably has hunters. It does not happen overnight but maybe takes 20 years. You could wake up one day 15 years from now in Canada and say where in the heck did all these hunters come from. North Dakota is basically a joke in the most popular areas and if you read the internet most reports are from frustrated hunters who had lousy success due to land posting, pressure, and guides leasing everything up. However, the state brought this on themselves by allowing unlimited numbers of non-residents to come twice in one season. South Dakota allows one 10 day period. I am sure the crops have something to do with less birds in ND but the hunting pressure is a huge reason why imo.

There are a lot of people who love to go on the internet and post pictures and brag about all the limits they shot. More and more each year I see people doing this after Canada trips. We shot 173 snows in a barley field in sask, etc. They talk about how great it is and you should just skip ND and come to Canada. They also say Canada is just too big to ever become like ND. They also used to say ND would always be freelancers paradise also. I strongly suggest you guys lobby for limited licenses or you may be come ND in 20 years.

7. recker999

You got it. If South Dakota ended the lottery it would end up probably in worse shape then even North Dakota as it is closer drive from places like Minneapolis and Wisconsin.

With pheasant hunting going down hill I hope the SD legislature does not try and make up the revenue differenence by offering more waterfowl licenses. It would be a terrible mistake.

8. tornadochaser

tornadochaser Elite Refuge Member

People have been trying to expand waterfowl licenses every year in the legislature. So much so, that the legislature got sick of it and gave the game and fish commission the authority to increase or decrease licenses up to 5% annually. Unfortunately, the legislature still has the same authority to change licenses as they please via bill language, so bills are still introduced each year.
    One only needs to look at the boat ramps on the nebraska side of the missouri river in late november/early december to see what pressure looms for SD waterfowling should things change. I've seen where guys have to park 1-2 miles from the ramp. nuts.

9. dvegas

dvegas Senior Refuge Member

The hotel in which I have been staying at for the last 20 years closed this past Friday once we left. There are no plans to reopen. The small town we have been staying in is dying if not already dead. My grandmother was born 30 miles from this town. We are scrambling at this point. I am planning on staying in some friends yards with a camper trailer next year for my usual two plus week trip. Then not allowing other hunters to hunt their property has nothing to do with illegal outfitting. It is 100% due to our long term friendship. We have multiple other farmers that do the same thing. Calling this illegal outfitting while saying you are unable to type is laughable.

10. KENNEDY63

KENNEDY63 Elite Refuge Member

But why would you be "scrambling"? I have hunted in many areas of Sask, and lodging generally is not an issue.

Sask - issue leg bands for waterfowl, just like you do for upland. Two possession limit max. Birds aren't tagged and the feds/province catch up with you? Loss of hunting rights for 5 years. Best way I can think of to preserve the quality of your hunting.