Canadian Hunters Forum Sponsors

October Sask Reports?

Discussion in 'Canadian Hunters Forum' started by Rudd, Oct 11, 2017.

1. grande long

grande long New Member

chris what are your thoughts/stance on foreign nr hunters visiting your province.some here make them out to all be rogues and bad people.

2. saugeye43

saugeye43 New Member

I really do hope that the provinces put a limit on non Canadian hunters. Limit the number of days you can hunt to 7 days. It would be a shame if prairie Canada turned into North Dakota

3. Chris Benson

Chris Benson Elite Refuge Member

Most of the NR I have met are upstanding, ethical, law-abiding hunters. They come for a week or so of hunting, shoot a few birds, and truly appreciate the opportunities that we have up here. To most Canadians, there are the people we want to welcome back!

It's the bad apples that look to Canada as a lawless land to stay for weeks on end, have "buddies" who come and visit their duck camps every couple days, over hunt the birds, dump birds and generally are disrespectful to the resource and the locals that we have problems with.

Everyone says how bad North Dakota has gotten, and how South Dakota is properly managing their waterfowl hunters. I would hope that Canada follows South Dakota lead and not let it become a gong show anymore than it is.

4. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

They need to get a handle on it soon or southern Canada will become North Dakota. People having terrible hunts in North Dakota will start looking for new areas to hunt and I think already have. Then you get the big mouths saying go up to Canda it is so great, etc. Don’t even get me going on their you tube videos. A guy driving 16 hours to get to ND will gladly drive another 7 to hunt Canada I would think. I don't get this whole staying for three weeks thing. That is far to long to let a NR stay. Ten days should be the maximum.

5. 870

870 Senior Refuge Member

Alberta has 6 day non res licenses,,, but there is no restriction on many licenses they can purchase which supposedly is a means to identify possible rogue outfitters.

One thing the 6 day license seems to do is create a hunt hard and fast type of mentality,,,, instead of a hunting a day or two and then taking a break for a day or so for scouting,,, processing birds etc. ,,, guys now feel like they hunt every single day of their six day license. In order to do this,,, we see guys trying to lock up a whole weeks worth of shoots which is of course a common outfitter practice as well.

The number of hunters often isn't the issue, but rather the number of shoots that get tied up by outfitters and non res is,,,, many shoots never get taken by anyone as a shoot that is held for 3-4 days later may not be there anymore as conditions change. In the mean time, the locked out resident hunter (or other non res freelancers for that matter) could have taken the shoot when it was in its prime.

I am not really sure how to change this practice of tying up every shoot in an area. Perhaps if hunters (residents, non res freelancers and outfitters) would just tie up only a couple days worth of shoots at any given time, that would certainly spread the birds and shoots around better. Should we be looking at regulating the number of consecutive hunting days to two or three days at time,,,or perhaps allowing non res freelancers to hunt only 3-4 days per week?

After all, most residents may hunt only 1 - 2 times per week,,,,

Last edited: Nov 9, 2017
    KID CREOLE likes this.
  6. saugeye43

saugeye43 New Member

Too many people after a limited resource all at the same time. Have seen it way more than many provinces have. We get around 20,000 non resident waterfowl hunters annually. A lot of them try to time the mallard migration which is usually around the 1st to second week in November. Many times have saw 3-5 trucks following ducks from their roost to the field. This has happened with several different fields also.
    Perhaps zones, hunter numbers per zone. Limit days they can hunt.
    Residents come first. We Americans are guests in their country.

7. Zekeland

Zekeland Senior Refuge Member

I am fortunate to have the means and time to travel further from home to less pressured areas and hunt during the week. Most residents don't enjoy this opportunity and are stuck hunting on weekends close to home in the high pressured areas.

$100/day for the field full of snows
    That was for locals and NRs price. That was 2 weeks ago in southern MB. Eventually some group of NRs will pay and hunt it. And that farmer will continue to charge for his fields. Manitoba has already become ND !!!

I am more than willing to pay double for my resident licence in order to cut and limit the number of NR licences sold and limit hunt days.
    We have close to 3500 NRs come to MB each fall. Like Chris B mentioned, its the bad apples that ruin it for others. Its the guys that just have to be up here for 2-4 weeks. Its the guys that have to come back to southern MB 3-5 times over the 2 month season. Its happening, ND & MN NRs repeatedly back and forth with a truckload of hunters. Tying up land for weeks at a time. Its all legal with the current licencing but it is abusing the system !

One 5 or 7 day licence......that's it !!

In some areas I don't believe the competition between locals/NRs could get any worse, so the quicker the NRs are in and out the better. Hunt for 5 or 7 days. See ya next year. I can see where it would be more hunts in a shorter timeframe. But they would only be visiting once.
    The outfitters should be on board since most clients book 3-5 day hunts. Manitoba doesn't get nearly the birds numbers the other two prairie provinces do, especially SK. And we have the lowest # of NRs of all three as well. The problem though is growing and residents are getting heated especially in the south. I highly doubt our government will limit these to just one only, But I do hope they move towards a term licence to start making a change. I recently submitted a provincial questionnaire focusing on just this issue and others. So this is definitely on their radar and changes are coming.

8. recker999

recker999 Senior Refuge Member

One really dumb thing ND does in my opinion is let NR's hunt two seven day periods. So basically they can come out early and blast the locals and then come back in three weeks and blast the migrants. South Dakota limits you to one 10 day period and my guess is most guys hunt 3-6 days. We hunt for 6 and then leave.

SD has 4000 NR licenses vs 20000 for ND. You simply cannot have that kind of pressure on birds and expect them to stick around. It certainly is not rocket science.

I watched some cabelas videos on you tube and these guys had to drive for two straight days before they found a hunt. They had one good pothole hunt and the other tow days were poor with a few in the field. This was prime time late in October. ND did not used to be like that.

9. KEN

KEN Moderator Moderator

ND has always been like this. I lived there for 45 years. Resident hunters tried to get laws more restrictive through the legislature. We were always defeated by the hospitality and Chamber of Commerce people. The legislature always sided with businesses that would be affected by lower numbers of NR hunters.

The same thing happened a few years ago when Sask looked at requiring NR to use guides. SERM listened to the business community and said no.Believe me, the same thing would happen to SD hunters if they tried to restrict numbers of NR pheasant hunters.

SD used to have very restrictive waterfowl laws.Used to be that NR could not hunt waterfowl at all. It is easier to go from more restrictive to less restrictive than the other way around. SD is lucky that NR waterfowl hunters are a drop in the bucket compared to pheasant hunters.

The 14 days or two 7's has always been like that. The business people have tried to make even less restrictive.Like trying to get three five day periods. At least it hasn't gotten there.

The reason they come twice is because migratory bird habits have changed big time. Birds stay in Canada until frozen out. Hunters have adjusted to that change. With a lot of them going to Canada instead of ND. Businesses in Canada would be against anything that reduces their bottom line.....money, including the changes suggested here.

The past few years we have seen no resident hunters, other than some farmers who hunt with us. Lots of NR hunters.....mainly all chasing snow geese.Easy to tell.....all have 30-40 ft trailers full of decoys.Now this is in the eastern half of the province.They don't hunt Canadas with a few hunting ducks. Most hunters can hunt Canada's at home. Not so snow geese.So who are you trying to protect. From what I have seen up there.....does it make sense that NR hunters are trying to make more restrictive laws?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2017
  10. Lmbkiller

Lmbkiller Senior Refuge Member

Couldn't disagree more ken.....compared to the states, Canada could care less about the bottom line and money and an example that proves that is all the bs that is required to hunt just birds (ledgers, stamps purchased separately, etc), not NR friendly. And bird hunters got it easy, big game is complete bs. I shouldn't have to use an outfitter to kill a deer or a coyote. In the states, we don't have anything near those rules